Euro U21 Championships

BigOscar

With football abandoning us for the summer, anyone looking forward to this? Starts next week and England have taken a ridiculous strong (and old) squad so should really compete. Tough group though

With football abandoning us for the summer, anyone looking forward to this? Starts next week and England have taken a ridiculous strong (and old) squad so should really compete. Tough group though

I watched the last tournament so I do look forward to this and hope that England do well. As you say, a tough group but we've taken a squad with a lot of experience for their age and that is in itself a positive step because it shows that we are valuing the competition.

I know Kane had a slight baron spell towards the end of the season so it will be interesting to see how he compares against defenders at that level and whether he is as good as his reputation or if he struggles. Either way, full credit to him, and the other players for being committed to England and recognising major tournament experience at any level will do them good in the long run.

Most would have been unlikely to get much game time in the senior games last weekend and this one, so it's the right move.

I've become as disillusioned with the national team as the next person, but I still can't help but support them and it's good to see players that may go on to become key to our future success.

Looking through all the squads, it is remarkable how old everyone is. Almost every team seems to have more players who are actually over 21 than under 21, it's bizarre. I get the logic behind it, but it's pretty baffling to hold an U21 tournament between teams full of 23 year olds

I think this is our best squad since we had some of these players playing for the U21's:

271294EB00000578-3015926-The_England_U21_team_who_played_against_Yugoslavia_in_Barcelona_-a-23_1427548094207.jpg

The England U21 team who played against Yugoslavia in Barcelona. Back row: Richard Wright, Steven Gerrard, Rio Ferdinand, Gareth Barry, Emile Heskey, Andy Campbell Front row: Seth Johnson, Frank Lampard, Jamie Carragher, Keiron Dyer, Lee Hendrie

We are in a very tough group but I have high hopes of this current bunch and I just hope they all play to their potential.

Our strike force at this level is excellent in Kane, Berahino, Ings, arguably the best going to the tournament.

Players like Bamford and Afobe could make the cut and combined they scored a shed load in the football league this season.

Not sure about the Italians, don't think they are too special at youth level but you'd imagine they are a cynical bunch who know how to win. Portugal have a fantastic squad, with some absolute world beaters, but as always the lack of a striker and the centerbacks aren't as strong as they could be, so we could nick a game against them just by being better in both boxes. No idea about Sweden, but on paper they have a hugely experienced team with half the squad being full internationals and our very own Super John up front.

It's going to be tough, but I think we should be able to get out of the group just by having the better strikers and a solid defence. The first game against Portugal will be crucial.

I think this is our best squad since we had some of these players playing for the U21's:

271294EB00000578-3015926-The_England_U21_team_who_played_against_Yugoslavia_in_Barcelona_-a-23_1427548094207.jpg

We are in a very tough group but I have high hopes of this current bunch and I just hope they all play to their potential.

Our strike force at this level is excellent in Kane, Berahino, Ings, arguably the best going to the tournament.

Players like Bamford and Afobe could make the cut and combined they scored a shed load in the football league this season.

Who the hell is Andy Campbell?!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.