Europa League - Quarter Finals - 7th & 14th April (Karaoke 2nd Leg, Page 25)

I don't think there is anybody coaching kids how to defend properly. It's all about what they can do on the ball.

Be interesting to see what would happen if someone rebuilt a modern version of Arsenal's old defence, with a decent side in front of it.

I don't think the first two are mutually exclusive tbh, it's more to do with tactical set up at senior level, inverted wingers, attacking full backs and midgets in centre mid along with picking players in defence based on passing ability over defensive judgement isn't going to help. It's telling that the 2 best defensive teams in Europe have strong South American and Italian characteristics instead of trying to be Barca like everyone else.

I don't think the first two are mutually exclusive tbh, it's more to do with tactical set up at senior level, inverted wingers, attacking full backs and midgets in centre mid along with picking players in defence based on passing ability over defensive judgement isn't going to help. It's telling that the 2 best defensive teams in Europe have strong South American and Italian characteristics instead of trying to be Barca like everyone else.

I think it's fair enough if teams want to be attack minded & take a bit of a chance rather tgan being like Atleti, but imo defenders nowardays just don't know how to actually defend. The number of schoolboy errors is ridiculous. The goals tonight from both sides were just fucking hopeless from a defensive perspective.

I've said so twice.

The rest though. Nothing imo. And very few real quality defenders in any position.
yeah sorry just late catching up on this thread. At least that makes the spectre of nil-nil through 210 minutes in the semis a virtual impossibility!! I appreciate great defending but can do without turgid stalemates...

I must admit he made the right decision to leave.

I'm sure the powers that be at City are desperately disappointed that they had to acquire SuperKev, along with the 15 goals and 12 assists he has so far provided, rather than keeping James Milner and his fantastic contribution of two or three goals/ season.

I bet they can't sleep at night.

I think it's fair enough if teams want to be attack minded & take a bit of a chance rather tgan being like Atleti, but imo defenders nowardays just don't know how to actually defend. The number of schoolboy errors is ridiculous. The goals tonight from both sides were just fucking hopeless from a defensive perspective.

You can have two of the above three and be attack minded without being naive and gung ho.

Tonight's game proves my point, neither team coached to defend a set piece or give their centre halves any protection, how many chances today came from slow centre halves holding a high line with their full backs out of position and everyone in central midfield pressing the ball? That's down to coaching at day to day level, it's nothing to do with skills developed at a young age.

It's simple really, if you're going to play wingers at full back and cede the wide areas when you lose the ball you hold the centre to give yourself time to recover, if you're going to give your central midfield freedom to go forward you protect the wide areas and keep your full backs close to your centre halves. If your centre halves are slow don't put them on the halfway line and put somebody pacey there when you have an attacking set play.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.