European match weekender

And half and half scarves.

Anyway, we got Dortmund tickets yesterday.
Which game is it for and when do you arrive/leave?

TV fixtures for the top 3 divisions have been fixed so you may be able to get a lower league game in too given how many teams there are in that region.

Not sure when we travel yet as the games haven’t been moved for that weekend. They’re playing Augsburg.

I'd strongly recommend staying in Düsseldorf rather than Dortmund itself. Reasonable options for other games that weekend I would say are;

Bundesliga
Fortuna Düsseldorf v Schalke

Bundesliga 2
Köln v Duisburg
Bochum v Bielefeld

3 Liga
Uerdingen v Carl Zeiss Jena (playing at Duisburg 1st half of the season)

I'd strongly recommend staying in Düsseldorf rather than Dortmund itself. Reasonable options for other games that weekend I would say are;

Bundesliga
Fortuna Düsseldorf v Schalke

Bundesliga 2
Köln v Duisburg
Bochum v Bielefeld

3 Liga
Uerdingen v Carl Zeiss Jena (playing at Duisburg 1st half of the season)
You’re a top bloke it would seem. The popular idea amongst the group is to stay in Dortmund so we’re not travelling on the day of the match. We’re all planning to wear Dortmund tops. One thing would be aggro if we’re leaving Düsseldorf on the train or arriving back later.

I’m open to staying anywhere. What makes you recommend Düsseldorf over Dortmund?

You’re a top bloke it would seem. The popular idea amongst the group is to stay in Dortmund so we’re not travelling on the day of the match. We’re all planning to wear Dortmund tops. One thing would be aggro if we’re leaving Düsseldorf on the train or arriving back later.

I’m open to staying anywhere. What makes you recommend Düsseldorf over Dortmund?

I wouldn't go against the group decision - there's just not a lot to do in Dortmund and there isn't a great selection of bars in my opinion. I seemed to struggle to find anywhere open after our game too. If you're there for 2 nights I'd definitely spend at least one of them in the Düsseldorf altstadt (aim for Bolkerstrasse).

Schalke playing in Düsseldorf makes me hesitate slightly saying this, but I don't think you would have any trouble wearing your shirt in Düsseldorf. If you're playing different days there definitely wont be.

I wouldn't go against the group decision - there's just not a lot to do in Dortmund and there isn't a great selection of bars in my opinion. I seemed to struggle to find anywhere open after our game too. If you're there for 2 nights I'd definitely spend at least one of them in the Düsseldorf altstadt (aim for Bolkerstrasse).

Schalke playing in Düsseldorf makes me hesitate slightly saying this, but I don't think you would have any trouble wearing your shirt in Düsseldorf. If you're playing different days there definitely wont be.
That’s a very good point about Schalke being in Düsseldorf. We won’t be booking flights or accommodation until the day of the match is confirmed because it could be Friday, Saturday, Sunday or Monday.

Will Dortmund not be more lively on a weekend? Everyone in the group is open to suggestion so we could yet decide on Düsseldorf. I read that train travel is free if you’re going to a match.

That’s a very good point about Schalke being in Düsseldorf. We won’t be booking flights or accommodation until the day of the match is confirmed because it could be Friday, Saturday, Sunday or Monday.

Will Dortmund not be more lively on a weekend? Everyone in the group is open to suggestion so we could yet decide on Düsseldorf. I read that train travel is free if you’re going to a match.

I’m pretty certain (though don’t quote me on it) that the train/U-Bahn/S-Bahn fare is included in the ticket price for Hertha's games, so it’s eminently possible that the same applies in other German cities.

It may well be livelier at the weekend - I've only been there midweek. Dortmund will be playing in the Champions League on the Tuesday or Wednesday so they definitely won't be playing on the Friday, that much I can say for certain. Same with Schalke.

Regional train travel (everything except ICE trains) is definitely included with your ticket.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.