European or World League

bugsyblue

Like the majority on here I was dead against this idea for years and years. I worried it would kill the domestic game and lower leagues, it would ruin the match going experience both home and away, that it would kill the working class routes of football. But is it all that bad?

Now bear with me. I realise it's a very contentious subject. The premiership has already moved so far away from grassroots and the working man's game, is a global league really going to be anything different? I actually think, bizarrely, it might result in bringing the game back around to its roots because if the league did include teams from Portugal, Holland, Brazil, Argentina etc there are still clubs in those regions with firmly working class fanbases. Would even mean cheaper match day tickets for example? Of course the away day experience would be severely limited to those with deep financial pockets or those lucky enough to be living abroad but then prem away games are nowhere near what they used to be. A night match against Boca would be pretty epic (and scary)!

Could it even have a positive impact on the domestic cups? Do people really care about the league cup now? Even the FA cup isn't as revered as it once was. But if we weren't used to playing domestic games then this becomes a really exciting cup.

Have I lost my soul or is there anything in it?

Part of me thinks fuck that, but I look at half the teams in the Premier League, and wonder whether 'a warm sunny evening in Lisbon/Paris' could replace 'a wet Tuesday night in Stoke'. Our chances of winning the league would greatly diminish but the matches would be better to watch.

Not a world league but Europe possibly

I think a european super league has always been on the cards for UEFA so was always going to happen at some point in time. Every few years they test the water and one day they will find the water is just nice and dive in.

Get rid of the league cup and champs league and have premiership and Euro league, that would be no problem with the squad we have.

A European league is inevitable

People, it's the Premier League and not the Premiership FFS

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.