EV Charging?

ComfySeats

Hello All.

I am looking at getting a Hyundai Kona in a few months the 65kwh one, which has a range of 320 miles apparently.

Anyway my conundrum is with regards to charging. I have a rented property that doesnt have a drive or garage. I do have a car park space but thats too far from the house. I have reach out to the landlord to see if we can make some very minor changes to his front stoned garden that would allow parking so we will wait and see. Although a nosy nieghbour has already started moaning when I explained why i was measuring and taking pictures.

So if the charging port doesnt pan out i have a few options:

1. Using the 3 pin plug charger which i know will take a lifetime but only planning on using it infrequently.
2.Charging when at shops, leisure activities etc.
3. This is the one i need help with :D. I am considering getting some portable solar panels, and rigging them up near my alloted car parking space. However I am not an electrician so dont fully understand the real world charging capacity i.e if i left 2 120w charges up and plugged in throughout daylight hours. realistically how much charge would that give. If anyone Bouemooner can help here i would appreciate it. Or point me in the direction to figuring it out

thanks
joe

edit: I rarely do motorway driving and alot of my driving is local.

Hello All.

I am looking at getting a Hyundai Kona in a few months the 65kwh one, which has a range of 320 miles apparently.

Anyway my conundrum is with regards to charging. I have a rented property that doesnt have a drive or garage. I do have a car park space but thats too far from the house. I have reach out to the landlord to see if we can make some very minor changes to his front stoned garden that would allow parking so we will wait and see. Although a nosy nieghbour has already started moaning when I explained why i was measuring and taking pictures.

So if the charging port doesnt pan out i have a few options:

1. Using the 3 pin plug charger which i know will take a lifetime but only planning on using it infrequently.
2.Charging when at shops, leisure activities etc.
3. This is the one i need help with :D. I am considering getting some portable solar panels, and rigging them up near my alloted car parking space. However I am not an electrician so dont fully understand the real world charging capacity i.e if i left 2 120w charges up and plugged in throughout daylight hours. realistically how much charge would that give. If anyone Bouemooner can help here i would appreciate it. Or point me in the direction to figuring it out

thanks
joe

edit: I rarely do motorway driving and alot of my driving is local.
No chance with solar. 8kW of panels covers pretty much an entire roof of an average detached house and you might get 6.4kWh peak out of them on a sunny day with the sun at the perfect azimuth in mid summer.
To charge the car you’d need at least 10hrs or more if you take into account losses at the charge converter and it might get a full charge a few days a year.

Stick to ICE as others have said.

For reference I have solar and one of the cars is an EV (Audi eTron GT).

Top of Manchester Road near Alkrington there are some houses that are elevated by steps. Cars park on the main road. At least two houses now have extra long wires going from the house all the way down to the road to be plugged into the car. Potential for a couple of broken ankles if you trip up over them.

If that is what it’s going to be like when we are all supposed to have one they can fuck right off.

Agree with all the above. If you can’t charge at the cheap overnight rates at home I don’t think you’ll see the financial benefit of it. Charging at petrol/service stations can be VERY expensive.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.