Ever been ripped off?

There was a bad attempt to rip me off in Istanbul but thankfully I began to realise it was a con and tricked my way out. I had two nights in Turkey on my way to Azerbaijan for a Wales match.

I was finishing my chicken kebab in a bistro bar near Taksim Square when two overtly friendly lads approached me. They were interested in my Wales football shirt mistakenly thinking it was Liverpool (like fuck) and were all “Gareth Bale team” when they worked out where it was. They claimed to be Cypriots although I now think they were Turks. One insisted on buying me another Efes and we sat together having a pint. My guard was down as I was merry.

One thing led to another and they insisted on another drink in a club they knew. Three girls were handedly waiting for us in a booth and drinks arrived. It dawned on me that I was in a hostess bar and that I’d not seen a menu for the prices. I went to the toilets and put my credit card, passport and all cash bar 50 Lira in my trainer and went back to the table. I couldn’t leave without getting past about four doormen.

A bill for 6600 Lira arrived and the two Cypriots insisted we had to pay it or we’d be killed. They were in on it obviously. They asked me for 2200 Lira to pay my share and I said I didn’t have it. I then tried to force my way out but a further half a dozen lads had turned up and one threw me up against the wall. The manager told them to leave me alone and led me to a corner.

I opened up my wallet to show just 50 Lira and he went through it to check no cards etc. He made me empty my pockets too. Upon seeing I had nothing and believing my story that the lads said they’d pay; he let me leave for free. I got a kick and a punch in the back from the goons but left largely unscathed. It was frightening.

I went to the little cafe bar next to my hotel for a beer to calm down and retrieve everything from my trainer. A quick Google told me it’s a popular scam and I’m just thankful I got away with it.

Never allow anyone to take you to a bar you don’t know whilst you’re away. They have clip joints in London etc.

Couple of cnuts off here let me down when promising to buy match tkts, regular posters too , you know who you are, cnuts.
Sold my lads ticket for the first 6/7 games of last season as he was working abroad, had the sense to get money upfront but I also had to miss the second last game of this period and arranged for the poster to use mine for his father.....never saw the money for it & struggled to get my card back & my lads back.

**** kept promising to pay me via the bank but never happened. Told him what I thought of him & that his father must be very proud.

I once fell for the classic trick from our lovely travelling community. Pretend you are in desperate need for money to get home a laptop to sell for £100, show it to your prospective buyer, put it in a bag but at the last minute swap it with a bag containing nothing but water bottles. I did what every greedy and stupid fucker does when presented with a great opportunity, fall for it. Can't believe i was that daft, tbh.

There was a bad attempt to rip me off in Istanbul but thankfully I began to realise it was a con and tricked my way out. I had two nights in Turkey on my way to Azerbaijan for a Wales match.

I was finishing my chicken kebab in a bistro bar near Taksim Square when two overtly friendly lads approached me. They were interested in my Wales football shirt mistakenly thinking it was Liverpool (like fuck) and were all “Gareth Bale team” when they worked out where it was. They claimed to be Cypriots although I now think they were Turks. One insisted on buying me another Efes and we sat together having a pint. My guard was down as I was merry.

One thing led to another and they insisted on another drink in a club they knew. Three girls were handedly waiting for us in a booth and drinks arrived. It dawned on me that I was in a hostess bar and that I’d not seen a menu for the prices. I went to the toilets and put my credit card, passport and all cash bar 50 Lira in my trainer and went back to the table. I couldn’t leave without getting past about four doormen.

A bill for 6600 Lira arrived and the two Cypriots insisted we had to pay it or we’d be killed. They were in on it obviously. They asked me for 2200 Lira to pay my share and I said I didn’t have it. I then tried to force my way out but a further half a dozen lads had turned up and one threw me up against the wall. The manager told them to leave me alone and led me to a corner.

I opened up my wallet to show just 50 Lira and he went through it to check no cards etc. He made me empty my pockets too. Upon seeing I had nothing and believing my story that the lads said they’d pay; he let me leave for free. I got a kick and a punch in the back from the goons but left largely unscathed. It was frightening.

I went to the little cafe bar next to my hotel for a beer to calm down and retrieve everything from my trainer. A quick Google told me it’s a popular scam and I’m just thankful I got away with it.

Never allow anyone to take you to a bar you don’t know whilst you’re away. They have clip joints in London etc.
There's loads of scams in Istanbul, a few more from the shoe shiners near the grand bazaar.

@amrikgill. One of the first on here to be done over by him. Ticket for Arsenal away. I could have qualified for a ticket on my own points but at the time work got in the way. Tickets sold out but i could now make it. I did the cardinal sin of saying "One ticket needed for Arsenal" i then received a PM rather than a open response. Paid money direct via the bank NATWEST name of A Gill (He told me his name was Andy) after 3/4 days i knew out done for £60. I did eventually get a ticket. More annoyed at my Nativity / not thinking rather than the loss of £60 to an addict. I have seen him once since and wanted to knock him out. Held myself back as under the law i am the aggressor rather than the victim.

@amrikgill. One of the first on here to be done over by him. Ticket for Arsenal away. I could have qualified for a ticket on my own points but at the time work got in the way. Tickets sold out but i could now make it. I did the cardinal sin of saying "One ticket needed for Arsenal" i then received a PM rather than a open response. Paid money direct via the bank NATWEST name of A Gill (He told me his name was Andy) after 3/4 days i knew out done for £60. I did eventually get a ticket. More annoyed at my Nativity / not thinking rather than the loss of £60 to an addict. I have seen him once since and wanted to knock him out. Held myself back as under the law i am the aggressor rather than the victim.
You are the Messiah and I claim my £5.

Sounds like a variation of this:

There's loads of scams in Istanbul, a few more from the shoe shiners near the grand bazaar.

The GC is a fucking tourist trap too. I paid £14 for a Fenerbahce scarf that was less than half that from their club shop. They’re absolute gold as salesmen. If you can haggle with them then you’re a winner.

It’s disappointing as I genuinely liked Istanbul otherwise. The waiters and bar touts were on me immediately and the food was excellent. It was good natured. One was able to speak to me in Welsh (I have a little understanding of it) which was hilarious at the time. Like Guinness in Ireland, Efes doesn’t travel over here but I’d drink it there.

I’d still go back but would be far more prepared. I had a taxi scam in Georgia (I cried for help and he came down in price) and also attempted pick pocketing in Paris. I’m usually in Wales colours when I go to football so I stand out against those in casual clothing.

As I said, it happens in London too. Tourists get conned everywhere. Just take precautions.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.