Everton (a) Post-Match Thread

I'm afraid I now listen with the sound on mute. Not the best experience but better than listening to the commentary. It's also interesting reading the post match comments on here because you see how influenced people can be by what they hear during the game.

I turn the sound off and only turn it up when we score to hear the pain in their voices.

I think playing Zinchenko with Gundogan and Rodri doesn't make sense.

You could see our right side had such a great fluid attack, Kevin and Mahrez interchanging all the time and Walker supporting from behind and making the occassional sprint down the wing.

The left side has Sterling and Gundogan, Gundogan offers Sterling nothing in this regard, and Zinchenko doesn't have the pace and ability to sprint out wide and cross it in, probably afraid to do so because if they counter, he doesn't have the pace to come back and support, the left side is just awful attacking wise.
Indeed.

The contrast between the left and right was stark. Gundogan just isn’t involved or dangerous enough in left attacking mid, and does not rotate with Sterling in the wide areas, does not create space for Sterling and Zinchenko and in turn Zinchenko doesn’t create any space for the other two neither. And Sterling is becoming predictable and I hate to say it his limitations as a player when he has to do everything for himself on that wing is evident.

The only time we looked dangerous on the left was when Coleman had run upfield and left space behind him and Sneijderlin didn’t cover for him.

Contrast that to the right hand side: Mahrez and de Bruyne interchanging positions, playing one-twos with each other, moving defenders all over the place, creating space for each other, with Walker constantly on the move to create space for both of them and moving opposition players around too.

It’s like watching two different quality teams playing on one side of the pitch to the other.

That left side was the worst thing about our team yesterday but everyone is banging on about the defence.

Look at the Norwich game and yesterday with Sterling and Gundogan (with Zinchenko) and contrast that to the movement and interchanges and passing and moving defenders around that Bernardo and David (with Zinchenko) did against Watford...

Last edited by a moderator:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.