Evidence for religion

But religion is about faith. Believing without seeing.

I have a question for the athesits out there. What do you believe happens after death? Does it give you comfort to think we are gone and that is it? Does it not give you comfort to think your dead relatives\friends are in a better place?
No. You're dead. That's all. Dead. Not in a "better" place, just fucking dead. I'm absolutely fine with that. No God, no angels, no devil.

I have a question for the athesits out there. What do you believe happens after death? Does it give you comfort to think we are gone and that is it? Does it not give you comfort to think your dead relatives\friends are in a better place?

1) you decompose courtesy of worms.
2) no view
3) why would they be in a better place?

I have a question for the athesits out there. What do you believe happens after de? Does it give you comfort to think we are gone and that is it? Does it not give you comfort to think your dead relatives\friends are in a better place?

You rot
Yes it does, this is all we have. Get over it
No it doesn't.
Only infantile cretins believe that shit.

Imagine arriving in heaven, resting peacefully. 150 years have gone by and there's no sign of your dearest and closest friend, and then it hits you...

They must have never made it to heaven. How could you continue "existing" in heaven knowing they could be in a worse place for something innocuous like "they didn't go to Church enough" or some BS.

Evidence for religion.

So was thinking before....

Everyone believed in father Christmas as a child and at a certain age you are told it's not real and you think to yourself 'of course it's not real how can a man fly to billions of houses in one night, how can a reindeer fly etc...

I wonder why that's not the same with religion? As an infant of course you're going to believe a man Walked on water or turned water into wine etc...but when you reach adulthood surely you're going to ask some questions.
It is the same with religion with loads of people.

I went to the CofE primary and at 8 years old I used to sit there in assemblies when these fantasies were being talked about and think “this is all just made up rubbish all this”.

I’ve never looked back.

The word religion should be banned and it all be called “mythology”.

What does it matter whether it gives us comfort? If we take comfort from things that aren’t real and we know it isn’t real, then we are kidding ourselves. To hope our friends are in a better place is a defence mechanism to deal with death. If our loved ones are there then we could go to.

Here’s how I see it as an atheist.

My mum and my dad aren’t dead. They look back at me everytime I look in the mirror. Every time I look at my brothers, my children, my siblings children. I see them, I hear them. I see their humour, their strength, their values. As long as I am alive they’re alive. And even when I am dead they will on in our children, as I will.

Love this life, be a good ****. This is it. And it’s a trillion to one we are even here. Or more actually.

So we are not gone and that’s it. We live on in our family. There’s no man in the sky. But there is the wonder of the universe and how we are a part of it that can understand so much of it. I think that’s a gift. We aren’t pessimistic, we look at the truth and even when that can seem bleak, it’s not, and even if it was, is pretending that we go to a place where we all reunite the answer?

For some yes. Not for me. I prefer to accept the situation. Plus, if god did exist and decided to put in an appearance, I would tell him to go fuck himself for standing by and allowing so much cruelty to happen.

If you read his book and that’s really how he us, then even if he was real I wouldn’t even like him, never mind worship him.

When my boy was a baby he needed a small op. Nothing serious, a wee hernia. Fuck all. I was worried sick. On the day after his op he was down in a ward that had about six kids who had leukemia. The wee darlings broke my heart, I felt for their parents and I knew at that moment there was no god. To make children and their parents suffer like that. And if he actually did exist, I would fucking hate him.

Also, all atheists aren’t a homogenous group. We are all different, the only thing that unites us, is agreeing there is insufficient evidence to believe in god. Whichever one you care to mention.

No. They are in the ground rotting until there’s just a skeleton left or in an urn on a shelf and that’s it. There’s no “better place” and I would be deluded to take comfort from thinking there was.

Nobody who has ever lived and is now dead is “resting in peace” as people like to say neither. That animal has ceased to be alive.

Plants and animals live for a bit and then they die. There is nothing at all special about us. We are no different to an oak tree, a tomato, a snake or a spider. Just that our atoms and cells make up a slightly different form to those examples.

Last edited by a moderator:
What does it matter whether it gives us comfort? If we take comfort from things that aren’t real and we know it isn’t real, then we are kidding ourselves. To hope our friends are in a better place is a defence mechanism to deal with death. If our loved ones are there then we could go to.

Here’s how I see it as an atheist.

My mum and my dad aren’t dead. They look back at me everytime I look in the mirror. Every time I look at my brothers, my children, my siblings children. I see them, I hear them. I see their humour, their strength, their values. As long as I am alive they’re alive. And even when I am dead they will on in our children, as I will.

Love this life, be a good ****. This is it. And it’s a trillion to one we are even here. Or more actually.

So we are not gone and that’s it. We live on in our family. There’s no man in the sky. But there is the wonder of the universe and how we are a part of it that can understand so much of it. I think that’s a gift. We aren’t pessimistic, we look at the truth and even when that can seem bleak, it’s not, and even if it was, is pretending that we go to a place where we all reunite the answer?

For some yes. Not for me. I prefer to accept the situation. Plus, if god did exist and decided to put in an appearance, I would tell him to go fuck himself for standing by and allowing so much cruelty to happen.

If you read his book and that’s really how he us, then even if he was real I wouldn’t even like him, never mind worship him.

When my boy was a baby he needed a small op. Nothing serious, a wee hernia. Fuck all. I was worried sick. On the day after his op he was down in a ward that had about six kids who had leukemia. The wee darlings broke my heart, I felt for their parents and I knew at that moment there was no god. To make children and their parents suffer like that. And if he actually did exist, I would fucking hate him.

Also, all atheists aren’t a homogenous group. We are all different, the only thing that unites us, is agreeing there is insufficient evidence to believe in god. Whichever one you care to mention.

Great post that mate.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.