Evidence for religion

No. The article that was in the link in the post that I responded to. Without that, what I wrote would lack context. With it, you may still be in wild disagreement.

I read the first paragraph, and closed it I will admit, didn't interest me enough to carry on.

Yes. And the deeper one goes into this, the more more one might feel 'whole' as conflict dissolves within...the more one one might feel fluid and so not so separate
from one's surroundings...the more one might come to be aware of 'essence' not just form...and beyond this - maybe one might discover that one is not strictly limited
by the understanding of who one thought oneself to be. Fun, huh? And in this way some 'religious' teaching may take on a different meaning than they
appeared to have before.
Who's this guy 'One'.

Interesting read. The spark of an eternal sun within all? And, just a thought, is it possible that the physical sun (which isn't eternal) is not so much
a cause but a symbol of the eternal sun? An outer expression of an Inner sun that connects us all?
Yeah I like that one.

I’ve maintained that the pre-Abrahamic religions or cults or lifestyles (Paganism) had it [mostly*] right. The henges and stone circles pointing to the celestial, solar and lunar years and the seasons in this country alone, with their an understanding in ancient times that they are what gives the planet life, were spot on.

Obviously they didn’t know of the science within us that at an atomic level we are all the same, that’s not just humans, but everything that lives (including planets and stars) all made up of atoms.

*however their take on sacrifice was a deluded and wasteful trait lacking in humanity but they were archaic in thought and justification so you can understand their need for thinking they had to give something back to “Mother Earth” or the “Sun God”.

Yeah I like that one.

I’ve maintained that the pre-Abrahamic religions or cults or lifestyles (Paganism) had it [mostly*] right. The henges and stone circles pointing to the celestial, solar and lunar years and the seasons in this country alone, with their an understanding in ancient times that they are what gives the planet life, were spot on.

Obviously they didn’t know of the science within us that at an atomic level we are all the same, that’s not just humans, but everything that lives (including planets and stars) all made up of atoms.

*however their take on sacrifice was a deluded and wasteful trait lacking in humanity but they were archaic in thought and justification so you can understand their need for thinking they had to give something back to “Mother Earth” or the “Sun God”.
Eternal sun. Eternal not being of time and space but yet that which could be said to be that which unites all in time and space, atoms and all. An 'essence' and/or 'the spirit of.' Sun may then then said to be the whole 'Self' of which all is a part of. Perhaps then one could say 'sun' is 'Son' - and if you asked if this son had had a source, then one might call this the 'father.' Not really a bloke with a beard sat on a cloud -maybe more a way of attempting to express that from which the universe was 'born.' This might not be everyone's cup of tea and I get that. And fighting wars etc in the belief that this might somehow please the universe that one is a part of? Not so sure about that really...

Eternal sun. Eternal not being of time and space but yet that which could be said to be that which unites all in time and space, atoms and all. An 'essence' and/or 'the spirit of.' Sun may then then said to be the whole 'Self' of which all is a part of. Perhaps then one could say 'sun' is 'Son' - and if you asked if this son had had a source, then one might call this the 'father.' Not really a bloke with a beard sat on a cloud -maybe more a way of attempting to express that from which the universe was 'born.' This might not be everyone's cup of tea and I get that. And fighting wars etc in the belief that this might somehow please the universe that one is a part of? Not so sure about that really...
That’s literally all it is. The personification and attachment of stories to those real entities: the Sun, light, daytime, warmth, Summer that we see giving life around us; and the mysterious Moon (disappears in the shadows at New Moon), darkness, nighttime, cold, Winter. Their procession across the sky through the year as they enter different zodiac signs. The virgin birth of a new year or new Sun, rising from the dead of Winter.

You are using your mind to try and think about evidence or non-evidence, yes? Maybe one can let go of thinking about life all the time and instead learn to feel what is beyond this. At first this might seem kind of stormy or even 'dark' but slowly it comes to feel calmer or even 'Light.' But this involves practice, it involves a choice for each to make or not. I cannot do this for you. Not possible. Hence it is called free will - if I could somehow make this decision for you, it would not be free at all. Now, what this 'light' is called could be up for discussion. Even how this best might be discovered is up for debate. Some might even decide that it doesn't exist at all. But what many might agree with, is that one may discover that arguing for or against it can actually get in the way of experiencing it.

Love this.

Speaking loads and saying actually fuck all.

A Wum who's a nutjob. My favourite.

I had the same reaction.

One thing that I can definitely recommend is Warner's book Hardcore Zen: Punk Rock, Monster Movies and the Truth About Reality.

It's genuinely, laugh out loud funny. The chapter titles include: 'In my next life, I want to come back as a pair of Lucy Liu's Panties' and 'Pass me the Ecstasy, Rainboy. I'm going to Nirvana on a Stretcher!'

That actually only ever happened to me once. It was one of those moments when real life exceeds all your expectations.

Just to return to the topic of atheism, although I've read Dawkins' The God Delusion and Hitchens' God is not Great, the most persuasive accounts of anti-theism/disbelief I have come across were both authored by ex-Muslims. Those were Ali Rizvi's The Atheist Muslim and Alom Shaha's The Young Atheist's Handbook.

Rizvi is especially interesting because he points out that atheism is punishable by death in 13 Muslim countries, and in 2014 Saudi Arabia declared all atheists to be terrorists. Apparently, unofficial bootleg translations of the writings of Dawkins and others in the New Atheist camp are covertly circulated in many Muslim countries and are popular because these Western authors are giving voice to views that it would be dangerous for their readers to publicly express.

Hope nobody gets the impression that I am anti-Muslim from reading the above as there is much to admire about Islamic culture and philosophy. It's a faith that gets stereotyped and treated as if it is a monolithic entity but nothing could be further from the truth.

Thanks. I'll be in a position to be a more active contributor in a week or so.

At the moment I am reading a book on something called 'Terror Management Theory' called The Worm at the Core: On the Role of Death in Life. One of the reviewer's blurbs on the back states: 'The most comprehensive and well-evidenced account to date of the idea that fending off the awareness of death is the prime mover of the human condition.'

It's fascinating so far, though Buddhists would absolutely concur with the previous statement.
I like you. Stick around please.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.