Evidence for religion

(I haven't read through all of this thread so apologies if this has made this point already)
I'm not religious ...but... it's a bit hypocritical if I am upset because a team that I do not play for didn't win today. My weekend is ruined by var and the lack of a penalty in a game hundreds of miles away. I mean I feel physically sick. How the feck is this possible or in any way rational?
Following City is social, traditional, engaging, involves faith and promise and hope, has dark sides with enemies, controversies and conspiracies, has saints and heroes, leaders, history, myth, worship, blind faith, superstition, etc. It effects us enormously. It's part of who we are.
I fully understand that many are sceptical of religions and the time, energy and beliefs of religions' followers. Bit rich on a City Forum though.
Another similarity is that City were created by man - as is the case with so many other religions.
We treat following City as though the club is our religion, but we have proof City exist. There is no proof the gods of traditional religions exist.

(I haven't read through all of this thread so apologies if this has made this point already)

I'm not religious ...but... it's a bit hypocritical if I am upset because a team that I do not play for didn't win today. My weekend is ruined by var and the lack of a penalty in a game hundreds of miles away. I mean I feel physically sick. How the feck is this possible or in any way rational?

Following City is social, traditional, engaging, involves faith and promise and hope, has dark sides with enemies, controversies and conspiracies, has saints and heroes, leaders, history, myth, worship, blind faith, superstition, etc. It effects us enormously. It's part of who we are.

I fully understand that many are sceptical of religions and the time, energy and beliefs of religions' followers. Bit rich on a City Forum though.
We can find actual evidence of the exact date and time of every City goal and probably the birth certificate of every goal scorer through our entire history as a club.

But in 2000 years we are yet to find a single shred of reliable evidence that Jesus existed. Even though the the time he lived in the Eastern Mediterranean which was the most literate area of human life in the world, where writing, diaries, stories, historians and censuses were all recorded by Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, Jews, and others in the region - yet not one bit of contemporary text nor any census ever recorded Jesus’ existence.

The most famous man in human history, who is said to have performed miracles, has no evidence that he really existed.

There’s video footage of Billy Meredith at the People’s History Museum.

We can find actual evidence of the exact date and time of every City goal and probably the birth certificate of every goal scorer through our entire history as a club.

But in 2000 years we are yet to find a single shred of reliable evidence that Jesus existed. Even though the the time he lived in the Eastern Mediterranean which was the most literate area of human life in the world, where writing, diaries, stories, historians and censuses were all recorded by Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, Jews, and others in the region - yet not one bit of contemporary text nor any census ever recorded Jesus’ existence.

The most famous man in human history, who is said to have performed miracles, has no evidence that he really existed.

There’s video footage of Billy Meredith at the People’s History Museum.
Fair enough but I’d doubt that the proof of existence of Jesus is critical to Christians. They believe he existed and that’s enough for them. We believe in City being the best team in the land and all the world. All of us are strange fish.

Another similarity is that City were created by man - as is the case with so many other religions.
We treat following City as though the club is our religion, but we have proof City exist. There is no proof the gods of traditional religions exist.
Obviously they are different. You are right. But we should be respectful of people believing in strange shit given that we do too. Just different shit. :-)

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/science/2000/sep/14/internationalnews.archaeology
Evidence of a great flood.

There is evidence of great floods in many ancient societies. There will have been stories passed down through generations about that.

Adam and Eve.
Since evolutionary evidence exists and has been proven through DNA mapping, humans were definitely not put on the Earth in our homosapien form by a god. We also certainly didn’t all descend from one male and one female. Homo as a genus and homosapiens as part of that evolved over millions of years from many.
https://evolutionnews.org/2018/03/adam-and-the-genome-review-and-conclusion/

Human and koala finger prints are the same. Showing we were once the same or a similar mammal. Even look at the foetuses of humans and dolphins: they are identical. Which shows that we were both once the same mammal and we both evolved separately from that mammal.

Evidence of angels descending from heaven to talk to Abraham. You’re having a laugh!

Tower of Babel and different languages.
God did not make different people speak different languages so they couldn’t understand each other. You can see from the split in the English language between Britain and the US that over years words change and language evolves. “I couldn’t care less that you learnt that somewhere where people put the rubbish in the bins at the block of flats where you have to use the lift to get downstairs”... “I could care less that you learned that someplace where people put the trash in the trash cans at the apartments where you have to use the elevator to get downstairs”.

Jews were not slaves in Egypt.
While some Jews may well have been slaves in Egypt. There is no evidence from Egyptian records (which they did keep) that they enslaved the whole population of Jews.
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/m.huffpost.com/us/entry/1408123/amp

Mary was miraculously impregnated by a god? Yeah right!

Jesus performed miracles?
All of the stories of Jesus relate to the celestial calendar or the solar calendar.
The year 1AD is not when our modern calendar started due to the birth of a Christ figure. It is the change of the celestial era of Aries into Pisces. We are currently in the era of Pisces - hence the fish being associated with Jesus. Hipparchus discovered this in about 127BC when he calculated procession. At the end of the Age of Pisces, the vernal equinox point will have moved into the constellation of Aquarius, thus beginning the Age Of Aquarius which will be in the year 2150.
Then the 12 signs of the zodiac through the year correlate to Jesus’ stories, starting when he meets two fishermen (Pisces). Then stories like him walking on water = sunset. All the talk of the “son of God” is actually the Sun. Jesus is the personification of the Sun. The Sun is light, brings life, it heals, trees/flowers/crops grow. On the Winter equinox it is at its lowest point for three days then starts to rise again (resurrection).

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair enough but I’d doubt that the proof of existence of Jesus is critical to Christians. They believe he existed and that’s enough for them. We believe in City being the best team in the land and all the world. All of us are strange fish.

why would you do that? just believe without any credible evidence, you wouldn't do that with anything else

why would you do that? just believe without any credible evidence, you wouldn't do that with anything else
Because its all you've ever known having been born into it, you get something from the places, people, customs, etc? It might offer more comfort and satisfaction or even excitement than other things? Many reasons I'd think. And many of them not too dissimilar to the reasons football is so popular.

I am not religious myself but I know many people, intelligent people, who are and are getting a lot from it. I see no harm in it - even if it is wishful thinking.

I know religions are associated with awful things in history but they are also associated with good things in history. A few years ago they were found guilty of harbouring child abusers but then later we found football clubs of similar. So are they really that different?

Because its all you've ever known having been born into it, you get something from the places, people, customs, etc? It might offer more comfort and satisfaction or even excitement than other things? Many reasons I'd think. And many of them not too dissimilar to the reasons football is so popular.

I am not religious myself but I know many people, intelligent people, who are and are getting a lot from it. I see no harm in it - even if it is wishful thinking.

I know religions are associated with awful things in history but they are also associated with good things in history. A few years ago they were found guilty of harbouring child abusers but then later we found football clubs of similar. So are they really that different?

bad deeds are bad deeds whoever does them, not sure what that has to do with the slice of bread

i agree there is no harm in it until it impacts someone else and it does in lots of cases, thats the problem

Exactly what I said and so really proving the point, religious weirdo being weird shocker.

I guess a lot of folks are still waiting on the actual answer to the post heading, I think we will be waiting a long long time.
Ok. Please correct me if I am wrong. But for you what might be called 'divine love' is not real and is just a fantasy for those that are closed minded bigots that should be locked up
in a mental institution? Or something along those lines? Ok, great - fair enough. For me divine love is more like a tangible experience. When open to this, life feels more enjoyable. The likes of hate falls away. I feel like I act less like a selfish wanker. This is pretty amazing in my books. Does this make me some sort of 'ultra special chosen one?' No, not really. More that I am an average bloke that somehow - perhaps through 'grace' - has started to discover that everyday life can come to feel more like a blessing than a curse. For this I am grateful. In this way I find that 'religion' is more like a personal experience that I choose to explore, than something to be enforced upon another. Or, if you like, it is a way of opening up myself rather than trying to close another down - telling them what they should believe, what they should or shouldn't do etc etc. So, evidence for religion? For me I feel like I have plenty but for one, this may not fit into what many might call religion, for two I accept this may not satisfy others demands for evidence and that is more than understandable. Each to their own, Live and let live and all that

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.