Hopes for the rest of the season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who will lead us on the pitch like Drogba or Lampard could carry Chelsea?
Hopefully one or two of Kev, Merlin, Dinho or Sergio will step up like they have done on many occasions in the past.

I agree that we are missing a natural leader now that Kompany is gone but don’t think that’s all it boils down to. I don’t see why we can’t win the Champions League with this squad, we have got plenty of quality and the players have shown in the past that they can step up. It’s Silva’s last season and potentially Fernandinho’s as well, it would be a great send off

Hopefully one or two of Kev, Merlin, Dinho or Sergio will step up like they have done on many occasions in the past.

I agree that we are missing a natural leader now that Kompany is gone but don’t think that’s all it boils down to. I don’t see why we can’t win the Champions League with this squad, we have got plenty of quality and the players have shown in the past that they can step up. It’s Silva’s last season and potentially Fernandinho’s as well, it would be a great send off

I also think the "leader" thing is overdone. We had some pretty average seasons when Kompany was here, and he was presumably doing his pre-match talks then as well!

To be fair, Chelsea's European Cup win was one of the flukiest ever. We simply can't defend. At least Chelsea could and had the posts on their side.
True but the point is that it’s 90% luck so we can’t just be written off. This team got 198 points and won 5 trophies (7 if you count the CS) in the process over two seasons for a reason.

Laporte will be back by the time we face the Spanish rags and that will hopefully help to solve some of our defensive woes.

I also think the "leader" thing is overdone. We had some pretty average seasons when Kompany was here, and he was presumably doing his pre-match talks then as well!
Exactly. We have got the quality to win the CL, it’s just a question of whether we have the luck. Realistically we should’ve made it to the semis at least the past couple of seasons. Some luck in Europe is long overdue

Imo we never will have such an easy run to the final as we would have last season.

Schalke, Spurs, Ajax and then a one off game vs Liverpool.

And Spurs stopped us.

Now if we somehow beat Real Madrid which I doubt on current form/defence/fitness I am sure its Bayern, Barca or Juve or Liverpool will be waiting next round.
And we are perfectly capable of beating any of those four teams over two legs on our day.

Fully agree that we had a golden opportunity last season though and made a mess of it by conceding soft goals

Exactly. We have got the quality to win the CL, it’s just a question of whether we have the luck. Realistically we should’ve made it to the semis at least the past couple of seasons. Some luck in Europe is long overdue

We have had some shocking games this season but also looked really good in pockets, and I don't think it is as bad as some want it to be. Let's see how long it takes Laporte to get back up to speed, let's see if we make any signings in January, let's see if Sane hits the ground running, let's see if Silva and Aguero have a couple of dominant games left in them, and, more importantly, let's see if Kev is in the mood, and we might be looking like world beaters come March at exactly the right time.

We have had some shocking games this season but also looked really good in pockets, and I don't think it is as bad as some want it to be. Let's see how long it takes Laporte to get back up to speed, let's see if we make any signings in January, let's see if Sane hits the ground running, let's see if Silva and Aguero have a couple of dominant games left in them, and, more importantly, let's see if Kev is in the mood, and we might be looking like world beaters come March at exactly the right time.

Agreed. One thing I’m worried about is all our hopes being pinned on Foden. I agree he needs to play more given that the league has gone but I worry about him being seen as some sort of messiah. He will have good and bad games and I hope we aren’t too quick to get on the lads back when he has a bad spell.

The 3 year cycle is over, now is the time to start building for the next three years.

We have the basis of a very exciting, young squad of players; Ederson, Cancelo, Stones, Laporte, Garcia, Mendy, Rodri, Bernardo, De Bruyne, Foden, Zinchenko, Sterling, Sane and Jesus, as well as a couple of older heads in Walker, Gundogan and Aguero who will be gradually phased out of the team.

A few signings over the next two windows will see a completely different team begin to evolve. The style of play will remain the same but the players will change.

And we are perfectly capable of beating any of those four teams over two legs on our day.

Fully agree that we had a golden opportunity last season though and made a mess of it by conceding soft goals
Yeah but if the biased cvnts at uefa don’t allow Llorente to catch the ball and place it in the goal then we may well have won it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.