Expected attendance for leeds?

Hopeitschipskippax said:
Tim of the Oak said:
northlancs said:
talking of attendances their are 28 users on here at this moment whilst over on the leeds forum waccoe theres 862 users online.
i rest my case. :-)

Wouldn't your 862 users be better supporter if they actually went to your games. There might even be some Leeds fans in Leeds in the 862 club.

Yeah, Leeds are one of the so called BIG clubs that have been put to the test, when it comes to their fans following them in the lower leagues. Unlike us, they failed miserably. When we were in the 3rd tier of English football, we were getting 30,000 at home;

Leeds first season in third tier, starting with minus 15 pts 26546
Man City first season in third tier 28261

so yes your right being a whole 1715 less fans is a miserable failure.

JGL07 said:
JM Mcr said:
As an outsider, with absolutely no affinity to either club, I do think that City are a bigger club than Leeds (much bigger nowadays and slightly bigger in the past) but I think you're in danger of straying from the truth a little to make your point here.

Your average league gate in 98/99 was just over 28,200 - fantastic support for the 3rd tier of the game - and Leeds average league gate in 07/08 when they dropped down to the 3rd tier of the game was 26,546 - again very commendable for that level of the game. Their average crowd remained comfortably above 20,000 for their remaining 2 seasons in the 3rd tier as well, obviously we have no way of knowing whether City's gates would've topped that had they not bounced back from the old 3rd division at the first time of asking.

Your stats ignore the fact that Maine Road had a capacity of circa 30,000 when in Division 2 wheras Leeds had nearly 38,000.

Given the likely gaps in the visiting support allocation, City must have been near to capacity in the home section for most if not all of the matches.
What was the away allocation back then? Maine Road's capacity was in excess of 32,000 if every seat was occupied and surely, as City were the biggest draw in that division then, most sides would have brought a sizeable following?

I wasn't slagging off your attendances anyway mate, more trying to point out to the previous poster that Leeds gates in the old 3rd division weren't as bad as he probably remembered them.

Rwhites said:
Hopeitschipskippax said:
Tim of the Oak said:
Wouldn't your 862 users be better supporter if they actually went to your games. There might even be some Leeds fans in Leeds in the 862 club.

Yeah, Leeds are one of the so called BIG clubs that have been put to the test, when it comes to their fans following them in the lower leagues. Unlike us, they failed miserably. When we were in the 3rd tier of English football, we were getting 30,000 at home;

As I've already said, your ground held 42,000, whereas ours held only 30,000. It was full to the brim most games, the seats that weren't taken were in the away end. If we'd had a stadium capacity of 42,000, what's to say we wouldn't have filled it? Your crowds dropped drastically, when you went from Prem league to championship, where you were only averagin around 21,000.

Hopeitschipskippax said:
JM Mcr said:
Hopeitschipskippax said:
Yeah, Leeds are one of the so called BIG clubs that have been put to the test, when it comes to their fans following them in the lower leagues. Unlike us, they failed miserably. When we were in the 3rd tier of English football, we were getting 30,000 at home; Leeds however, were nowhere near that. Even back in the 80's when we were both in the 2nd tier, our home games were attended by a good 10,000 more than those of Leeds. Your fans do tend to go missin, when the goin gets tough. However, you do have around 13,000 hardcore supporters. City have had one of the best followings in the country, since the 70's. Fact! You can compare Leeds to Both Sheffield clubs, Birmingham, Aston Villa, Wolves Nottingham Forest.........City are way out of your league. Fact....again
As an outsider, with absolutely no affinity to either club, I do think that City are a bigger club than Leeds (much bigger nowadays and slightly bigger in the past) but I think you're in danger of straying from the truth a little to make your point here.

Your average league gate in 98/99 was just over 28,200 - fantastic support for the 3rd tier of the game - and Leeds average league gate in 07/08 when they dropped down to the 3rd tier of the game was 26,546 - again very commendable for that level of the game. Their average crowd remained comfortably above 20,000 for their remaining 2 seasons in the 3rd tier as well, obviously we have no way of knowing whether City's gates would've topped that had they not bounced back from the old 3rd division at the first time of asking.

It's safe to say that neither club has anything to be ashamed of when it comes to their level of support during their lowest point.

It's a fair point that. However, Our ground only held 30,000 and we had to save some seats for the visitors. Most games it was full to the brim. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Elland Road have a capacity of around 42,000 back then? What's to say we wouldn't have got 10,000 more in our ground, if we'd had the room to accommodate them? In 2007/8 Leeds average league attendance was 25,720and a season later it was down by almost 2,000. If I'm right with my 42K, then that's a whopping 19,000 off capacity. I see your point, it's still a lot of fans considering league position. I just wanted a neutral like yourself, to come on here and say, City has always had a better following than Leeds ;) Coz I hate Leeds.
I'm hardly neutral mate. I'm a Utd fan and hate you both ;-)

Hopeitschipskippax said:
Rwhites said:
Hopeitschipskippax said:

As I've already said, your ground held 42,000, whereas ours held only 30,000. It was full to the brim most games, the seats that weren't taken were in the away end. If we'd had a stadium capacity of 42,000, what's to say we wouldn't have filled it? Your crowds dropped drastically, when you went from Prem league to championship, where you were only averagin around 21,000.

your ground held 32000 as many have pointed out on here by posting attendances from that season, you were 4000 short of capacity so doesn't matter what ours was.

Rwhites said:
Hopeitschipskippax said:
Rwhites said:

your ground held 32000 as many have pointed out on here by posting attendances from that season, you were 4000 short of capacity so doesn't matter what ours was.

one team town

Rwhites said:
Hopeitschipskippax said:
Tim of the Oak said:

Your still pissed that you lost the war aren't you.......... coming back to the land of the red rose must really make you feel shit

As if being a Mighty Leeds fan doesn't

Rwhites said:
Hopeitschipskippax said:
Tim of the Oak said:

You right it is-seen as City hadnt won a trophy since 1976 whilst you lot had won a title and competed in the CL on a regular basis.

Whats minus 15 points got to do with it?

flb said:
Rwhites said:
Hopeitschipskippax said:

You right it is-seen as City hadnt won a trophy since 1976 whilst you lot had won a title and competed in the CL on a regular basis.

and like now you paid fuck all to get in your ground.

Rwhites said:
flb said:
Rwhites said:

and like now you paid fuck all to get in your ground.

Youve lost me pal, is that some sort of Yorkshire lingo?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.