F1 Season 2021

Best way I can put it, Max tried to bully his way into staying in front, got a smack he didn’t expect back, end of story.

Very well put. Verstappen has been overly aggressive on defending for a long time.

As you say, he tried to play a game of chicken and Lewis wasn't having any of it.

Great win for Lewis.

He wanted Lewis to stamp on the brakes, should never have been a penalty.

Agreed, he put his elbows out and expected Lewis to lift off.

As far as I'm concerned, it was a racing incident and the title race will be all the better for today.

Verstappen had already bumped wheels a couple of times beforehand and didn't know what day it was because Lewis had the tow and the know-how to get back on the throttle at the perfect moments.

Glad Verstappen is okay but it will serve as a reminder to him that using an F1 car in a game of chicken is not going to end well.

Not Lewis' biggest fan myself but he did nothing wrong there. He had the racing line and was fully within his rights to hold on to it. Verstappen drove into Lewis. Ludicrous Lewis got any penalty.

And the Red Bull spokesman - whoever he is - is bad losing dickhead.

Not Lewis' biggest fan myself but he did nothing wrong there. He had the racing line and was fully within his rights to hold on to it. Verstappen drove into Lewis. Ludicrous Lewis got any penalty.

And the Red Bull spokesman - whoever he is - is bad losing dickhead.
I think they've recently been operating with a mindset of giving the benefit to the driver that had the lead. Since Hamilton at no stage had the lead ahead of Verstappen in the corner they penalised him. It's pretty consistent with the two penalties Perez got in the last race.

I think they've recently been operating with a mindset of giving the benefit to the driver that had the lead. Since Hamilton at no stage had the lead ahead of Verstappen in the corner they penalised him. It's pretty consistent with the two penalties Perez got in the last race.
As you say consistent and no surprise, personally I want to see hard racing.

Agreed, he put his elbows out and expected Lewis to lift off.

As far as I'm concerned, it was a racing incident and the title race will be all the better for today.

Verstappen had already bumped wheels a couple of times beforehand and didn't know what day it was because Lewis had the tow and the know-how to get back on the throttle at the perfect moments.

Glad Verstappen is okay but it will serve as a reminder to him that using an F1 car in a game of chicken is not going to end well.

That's all Max has in tight battles, calling the other guy's bluff. 3 times this season when the cars have been most evenly matched Lewis has set him up masterfully and Max has had no answer. Max has been excellent when he has driveaway pace but the mistakes creep in under scrutiny and it'll be interesting if his impetuous streak kicks in and he starts trying to get one back on Lewis rather than winning the title. Today was needless by Max given his title lead and pace advantage and these are the cracks Lewis is counting on in a slower car. If it weren't for an unfortunate button press in Baku he'd somehow be leading the championship.

I get the benefit of the doubt to the leader argument. But in my mind, there is no doubt. Lewis did not move towards Verstappen, he simply maintained his racing line and didn't back off, Verstappen drove into Lewis (presumably expecting Lewis to back off). Verstappen cost himself the race and the points.

It was great driving from Lewis IMO. Verstappen will think twice about making the same move again.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.