FA Cup 4th Round 1988 - Blackpool V City - Were You In The Stand Behind The Goal?

I was there and remember a police horse slipped over on ice after the game trying to separate gangs of opposing supporters ready for a ruck.
Poor copper went over with the horse and took a bad fall on the ice.

A whole series of black and white newspaper photos of the crowd from the 1984 cup game emerged a few years ago. From memory, it might have been the Daily Mirror who found them. Anyway, they showed the MCFC Mayne Line (as they called themselves at the time) running riot, on the pitch and everything. I'd love to see them again but I don't think they are out there any more.

I remember it being bloody freezing and I only had a crew neck jumper on as I was cool as fuck. Glad the goal went in just to warm up more than anything! :)

It saddens me that we rarely get crowd scenes like that anymore unless it's a hugely important goal, ie: Dickov in 1999 or Aguero in 2012, and it saddens me that today's generation of fans weren't around to witness the buzz of being stood on the terraces.

As it happens, that game was a couple of seasons before I started doing aways but I was lucky enough to still have a good few years of being able to witness similar scenes in certain games. The footage of the celebrations of that particular goal, however, probably tops anything I was ever in the middle of and is my all-time favourite. I love watching the surge forward in the build-up and huge credit to the cameraman for focusing on the fans for so long afterwards. These days when a goal is scored you might see a fleeting crowd shot and all too often it's of a more sanitised section of the crowd.

That's a great Twitter page btw @jrb and it's interesting reading some of the comments from fans of other clubs - some go as far as saying it's the most mental crowd celebration they've ever seen.

Talking about crowd scenes away from home 1981 cup games Everton and Ipswich,Paul Power to make it 2-2 and his winner at Villa pk,facking unbelievable.

It saddens me that we rarely get crowd scenes like that anymore unless it's a hugely important goal, ie: Dickov in 1999 or Aguero in 2012, and it saddens me that today's generation of fans weren't around to witness the buzz of being stood on the terraces.

As it happens, that game was a couple of seasons before I started doing aways but I was lucky enough to still have a good few years of being able to witness similar scenes in certain games. The footage of the celebrations of that particular goal, however, probably tops anything I was ever in the middle of and is my all-time favourite. I love watching the surge forward in the build-up and huge credit to the cameraman for focusing on the fans for so long afterwards. These days when a goal is scored you might see a fleeting crowd shot and all too often it's of a more sanitised section of the crowd.

That's a great Twitter page btw @jrb and it's interesting reading some of the comments from fans of other clubs - some go as far as saying it's the most mental crowd celebration they've ever seen.

The one that I think comes closest to this celebration was at the swamp when Keith Curle hammered in a penalty right in front of us after elephant man had brought down David White on the edge of the box. I think we drew 1-1.
The celebration for that was fucking mental!

I was in the stand to the left with the roof on, wishing I was in the one behind the net!

The locals weren't too happy after, but loads of blues, ready for anything!

I was in the same bit with a mate, right up toward the corner flag. Side of the stand was a delapidated mixture of flapping plastic and chicken mesh if I recall correctly. We all went mad when the ball finally went in, but I remember looking across at the mayhem behind the goal with more than a pang of envy

There is even better footage somewhere of fan hysteria when they show the actual slow motion replay of Morley scoring the second against United, just after we had taken the lead in the 5-1.

Watch it from the angle of the corner of The Kippax where it meets the North Stand as Blues jump about waiting for someone to put the ball in the net.

Incredible scenes.

I was further across in the Kippax that day and can honestly say that's still the most intense celebration where I was just fighting my way to sit back on the bar after the first goal when I was sent flying again.

There is even better footage somewhere of fan hysteria when they show the actual slow motion replay of Morley scoring the second against United, just after we had taken the lead in the 5-1.

Watch it from the angle of the corner of The Kippax and North Stand as they jump about waiting for the ball to be put in.

Incredible scenes.
Had a rag stood next to me & Mrs Moon in the cirnco you're talking about, didn't realise until we noticed after the second he didn't move.

He moved at halftime and never came back after Mrs Moon bounced all over his feet with her heels on as Bishops goal when in.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.