FA cup....Nottingham Forest v City 27th January 1974

ColinBellsjockstrap

Anyone here at the game?, remember it like it was yesterday..

Duncan McKenzie scored one of the best goals I've ever seen against us, shortly after that he moved to Leeds.

From the web:-

In 1974 Forest were a pretty ordinary second division side, other than McKenzie. That season, he became only the third Forest player to top the scoring charts in his division with 26 goals. In the fourth round of the FA Cup, McKenzie put on a one-man display, the like of which has not been seen since at the City Ground. He ran the Manchester City Defence ragged. He created two goals for Ian Bowyer and one for George Lyall before scoring himself. It was Duncan McKenzie 4 Manchester City 1 Forty one thousand fans watched McKenzie put them to the slaughter on Forest’s second ever Sunday game.

ColinBellsjockstrap said:
Anyone here at the game?, remember it like it was yesterday..

Duncan McKenzie scored one of the best goals I've ever seen against us, shortly after that he moved to Leeds.

From the web:-

In 1974 Forest were a pretty ordinary second division side, other than McKenzie. That season, he became only the third Forest player to top the scoring charts in his division with 26 goals. In the fourth round of the FA Cup, McKenzie put on a one-man display, the like of which has not been seen since at the City Ground. He ran the Manchester City Defence ragged. He created two goals for Ian Bowyer and one for George Lyall before scoring himself. It was Duncan McKenzie 4 Manchester City 1 Forty one thousand fans watched McKenzie put them to the slaughter on Forest’s second ever Sunday game.

Was that the game played afternoon cos of power cuts? Lot of trouble off the pitch that day if I recall although I didnt go.

Tbilisi said:
Was that the game played afternoon cos of power cuts? Lot of trouble off the pitch that day if I recall although I didnt go.

That's right, quite a lot of trouble outside the ground, several fans ended up in the river Trent...lol!

Bloody freezing that day too....

I went to this game, it was played on a Sunday , remember the pitch being very muddy & Mckenzie floating across it, he really took the piss that day.

Yes it was a Sunday, can't remember if they used a generator for the floodlights or kicked off early. It definitely kicked off early in the crowd, was mayhem inside and outside the ground. In those days I didn't mind that so much if we put up a decent performance on the pitch but it was another shite performance under Ron Saunders.

Started off in the open end and ended up near the trent end ,got smacked on the way out and yelloway coach from Rochdale got windows put through , not the best day out !

whenever I think of this game it always reminds me of woodchip wallpaper,,,, our house was swamped in it that day,my dad was decorating and listening to the game on the radio .every time forrest scored he launched into a stream of expleatives.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.