FA Cup Semi-Final | City v Chelsea | Sat 20 Apr 5:15pm SOLD OUT

Who do you want in the Semi Final?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think you’ll find most Northern fans who have to traipse down to Wembley at additional costs aren’t happy about it, with Old Trafford on their doorstep, with a 73,000 capacity.

For arguments sake, bar United, why should 2 teams from the North West of England or from the North of England and their fans have to traipse down to London and Wembley stadium at additional cost and inconvenience, when Old Traffird is capable capacity wise of holding an FA Cup semi-final, with each club getting their official FA Cup semi-final allocation of 34,000 tickets? Which has happened to us and other Northern fans on numerous occasions.

On the capacity point, you can justifiably argue Wembley has a 90,0000 capacity, so why aren’t those extra ’22,000’ tickets officially being given to City and Chelsea fans for the FA Cup semi-final? What are the FA doing with 22,000 tickets for the FA Cup semi-final that aren’t going to City and Chelsea fans?

City, 34,000 tickets. Chelsea, 34,000 tickets. The FA 22,000 tickets. 90,000 tickets. Think about that. The FA holding back 22,000 tickets that should be going to City and Chelsea fans. I stand corrected on that..
Sorry but you can stick that toilet up where the sun don't shine.

Sorry but you can stick that toilet up where the sun don't shine.
It is a toilet, I agree. But anyone can put up with old toilet for 90 minutes. Depending where you live in Gtr Manchester, the North West, or even the North of England to a point, getting to old toilet, and home again Is much easier and faster.

If I and 3000 City fans can put up with Old Toilet every season for a PL match, 34,000 City fans can certainly put up with Old Toilet for a FA Cup semi-final match.

I appreciate the Etihad of the South is self-contracted by the FA to hold FA Cup semi-finals, so there is little or no chance of that ever changing.

Last edited:
It is a toilet, I agree. But anyone can put up with old toilet for 90 minutes. Depending where you live in Gtr Manchester, the North West, or even the North of England to a point, getting to old toilet, and home again Is much easier and faster.

If I and 3000 City fans can put up with Old Toilet every season for a PL match, 34,000 City fans can certainly put up with Old Toilet for a FA Cup semi-final.

I appreciate the Etihad of the South is self-contracted by the FA to hold FA Cup semi-finals, so there is little or no chance of that ever changing.
Sorry but not once while i have been to a semi final at Wembley have i thought i wish it was at that toilet.

I think you’ll find most Northern fans who have to traipse down to Wembley at additional costs aren’t happy about it, with Old Trafford on their doorstep, with a 73,000 capacity.

For arguments sake, bar United, why should 2 teams from the North West of England or from the North of England and their fans have to traipse down to London and Wembley stadium at additional cost and inconvenience, when Old Traffird is capable capacity wise of holding an FA Cup semi-final, with each club getting their official FA Cup semi-final allocation of 34,000 tickets? Which has happened to us and other Northern fans on numerous occasions.

On the capacity point, you can justifiably argue Wembley has a 90,0000 capacity, so why aren’t those extra ’22,000’ tickets officially being given to City and Chelsea fans for the FA Cup semi-final? What are the FA doing with 22,000 tickets for the FA Cup semi-final that aren’t going to City and Chelsea fans?

City, 34,000 tickets. Chelsea, 34,000 tickets. The FA 22,000 tickets. 90,000 tickets. Think about that. The FA holding back 22,000 tickets that should be going to City and Chelsea fans. I stand corrected on that..

Unless there’s been some extensive survey done, your ‘I think you’ll find’ basically means ‘My guess’

As I’m guessing myself. The majority of Northern clubs get to an FA Cup semi maybe once or twice max. in their whole lives. Many not at all. So my guess is, they’d be quite happy at the extra expense for their big day out. They know they’re unlikely to win and go back for the final so it’s likely their one chance.

Remember the all Sheffield semi final was moved to the old Wembley after fan pressure from both clubs.

The Fa have always taken a percentage of tickets for both the Semi final & Final itself. Seem to remember the '81 Semi at Villa Park, City & Ipswich getting about 25,000 between us, my brother missed out, he's still blazing! Anyone remember the exact figures?

FWIW, I totally agree with his stance that semi finals shouldn’t be at Wembley but I also get the point that at least you get a bigger allocation when they are at Wembley. A few of my mates have sacked off Wembley semis over the past few years but I don’t call them out on it as they’ve more than earned their stripes following City home and away and as such have earned the right to decide which games they want to attend.
Fair point but I honestly can't see a viable solution as it stands

I never said my work pattern was the reason. I stated I don‘t believe in FA Cup semi-finals being held at Wembley in my first post. And I still don’t. Holding FA Cup semi-finals at Wembley was and still is an excuse by the FA to make more money out of the fans. Most football fans have agreed with that view point ever since the FA began holding FA Cup semi-finals at Wembley to pay for the financial gap from the Wembley stadium rebuild. That financial gap has now been paid off(see below), yet the FA are still holding FA Cup semi-finals, and will keep on holding FA Cup semi-finals at Wembley purley for financial reasons and to the detriment of football fans from the North of England and from other parts of the country, outside of London.

(The FA will finally finish paying off £757m cost of new Wembley in 2024. The Football Association have revealed they will finish paying for Wembley by the end of 2024. It cost £757million to transform Wembley into a new 90,000 ground, which was reopened in 2007 — seven years after the original stadium was last used.)

Other grounds across the country are available and are capable of holding FA Cup semi-finals, albeit they have smaller capacities, which is a valid point and can be argued. Old Trafford-72,000, Anfield-62,000, the Etihad-62,000(after the rebuild) Scruffy Jim’s future New Stadium of the North, 90,000-100-000?(some City fans won’t be seen dead in United’s stadium)

As for my Saturday comment. That stands, regrdlesss of not going to the FA Cup semi-final. I can still go to the FA Cup semI-final if I cancel one of the the FA Cup final or CL final Saturday’s I’ve booked off. I’m not going to do that. I’ll take my chances as I will be at either or both FA Cup final or CL final, if City get to them? I booked those Saturday’s off provisionally last year. There is no guarantee City will get to either or both of those finals. If they don’t I can cancel one or both of those Saturdays off.

As I pointed out, my decision not to go to the semi-final at least means another City fan who may not have got a ticket for the match can now go to the match and they will be ‘pay face value’ for the ticket rather than not getting a ticket or having to pay much more for the ticket through a legal(arf!) third party ticket touting website.

Let’s finish this discussion on a positive note.

I hope ‘you’ and every other City fan who goes to the FA Cup semi-final at Wembley enjoys the whole day. And City beat Chelsea to get to the FA Cup final, which should be held at Wembley, as is the ‘tradition’.
I still stand by my view that modern domestic grounds are not geared for a 50 / 50 split.

It's not like the old days of splitting a terrace.

Say Villa Park was used, I reckon about 3 / 5 k would be lost to segregation.

The positive with Wembley are the transport links, probably near 20 odd stations on Rail or Tube that can be used.

I reckon a lot of fans do the semi because they would struggle for a Final ticket with the reduced allocation.

No solution really and that Jim has identified this and is using it to the Rags advantage!

wasn't long ago Arsenal and Spurs played a semi final game at Old Toilet

I suspect Stephen is right on this one, but then City are in a unique situation.

As we've seen from the Wembley thread, we've played a hell of a lot of games at Wembley.

In terms of FA Cup semi-finals, we'll have been to 7 of the last 8, and to Wembley 15 times in 8 seasons. Given we've also been winning the league most seasons, and have reached a semi and two finals in the CL in the last three years, visits to Wembley aren't even the biggest games of our season.

In those 8 years, Liverpool have had one FA Cup semi-final at Wembley. United will have had 4, but they'll still have been to Wembley around half as often as City, and FA Cup semis/finals would be the highlights of the season for their fans.

I still stand by my view that modern domestic grounds are not geared for a 50 / 50 split.

It's not like the old days of splitting a terrace.

Say Villa Park was used, I reckon about 3 / 5 k would be lost to segregation.

The positive with Wembley are the transport links, probably near 20 odd stations on Rail or Tube that can be used.

I reckon a lot of fans do the semi because they would struggle for a Final ticket with the reduced allocation.

No solution really and that Jim has identified this and is using it to the Rags advantage!
Bollocks.....

He's using emotive, political rhetoric to fuel the agenda.

This chancer couldn't give a flying fuck about anything other than getting the tax payer to wedge up for a new ground for the swamp dwellers.

Look at his record of using tax payers funds and government grants for his own benefit then walking away when there are bigger/better benefits are available in other jurisdictions.

A manipulative,political chancer in plain sight !!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.