FA Youth Cup

Can't say I agree with that. City had most of the game and should probably have won by more but 2 of the front 3 didnt contribute much. Knight and Rogers. Braaf was certainly a threat but he did mess up at the crucial last moment when he might have scored or created.

Apart from us maybe gifting them a chance it was really only the last 15 minutes where Fulham posed much of a threat and that was much down to our nervousness. Fulham are top of the league down south so are definitely a decent team who came with high hopes but didnt really do much at all. Fulham fans around me were far from pleased that they created so little.

I remember a PL game from years ago EFC v Fulham, or t'other way round when The Observer used to get a sound bite from two opposing watching fans post match. The EFC guy was quoted: When Fulham had the ball I thought they were gonna do us; when we had the ball I thought Fulham were gonna do us. I might have had a little bit of this at the back of my mind, and 1-0 is a wobbly score to defend for eighty odd mins. Our goalie certainly saved two goal worthy chances, and if that had finished 1-2 we could have felt a little peeved. We missed one glorious opportunity late on in the second half that would have perhaps reflected better the game, but it was one to lose. I think the kids try to emulate the first team with too much of a laborious passing game. We don't need to whack up field and chase, but we need a little more zest in getting the ball into the danger areas.

Knight is always good to watch, along with Rogers. Fiorini had a very good game, and Braaf, who has enormous talent, and is currently taking over in the RDAHMeedya where Foden used to be (he needs to move away to get game time!!) always seems to want to include a 'foxtrot' into the build up and momentum is lost. Patience is clearly a virtue but I think we over-egg the pudding by getting to the final third and then three passes later we have returned to passing along the back. Some heart stopping moments and despite Fulham's full on pressing for most of the game the twinkle toes managed to squirt the ball out and away.

From my point of view the best players were Mbete Tabu, Doyle and Braaf (in flashes) and Fulham's right back.

The rest were quite passive and didn't have much impact.

Although I liked the cameo of Delap - he looks like he's got a bit of everything and is a handful for defenders.

From my point of view the best players were Mbete Tabu, Doyle and Braaf (in flashes) and Fulham's right back.

The rest were quite passive and didn't have much impact.

Although I liked the cameo of Delap - he looks like he's got a bit of everything and is a handful for defenders.
Thought Tabu was outstanding, he seemed to cover so much ground and yes Fulham's right back was very strong in defence and almost glued to Braaf, yet always eager to get forward.

Mbete Tabu's birthday is listed as 18 September 2003. If that is correct he is still a 5th year schoolboy and therefore eligible in the FA Youth Cup for the next 2 seasons. I think he was thrown in last night because Harwood-Bellis and Finley Burns were both out injured. If anybody is interested the draw for the semis and the final were made today.

Quarter Finals.

City v Burnley.
Utd v Wigan
Chelsea or Wolves v Millwall
PNE or Blackburn v Arsenal

Semi Finals

PNE or Blackburn or Arsenal v City or Burnley.
Chelsea or Wolves or Millwall v Utd or Wigan.

The winner from the City half of the draw will have home advantage in the Final.

I remember a PL game from years ago EFC v Fulham, or t'other way round when The Observer used to get a sound bite from two opposing watching fans post match. The EFC guy was quoted: When Fulham had the ball I thought they were gonna do us; when we had the ball I thought Fulham were gonna do us. I might have had a little bit of this at the back of my mind, and 1-0 is a wobbly score to defend for eighty odd mins. Our goalie certainly saved two goal worthy chances, and if that had finished 1-2 we could have felt a little peeved. We missed one glorious opportunity late on in the second half that would have perhaps reflected better the game, but it was one to lose. I think the kids try to emulate the first team with too much of a laborious passing game. We don't need to whack up field and chase, but we need a little more zest in getting the ball into the danger areas.

Knight is always good to watch, along with Rogers. Fiorini had a very good game, and Braaf, who has enormous talent, and is currently taking over in the RDAHMeedya where Foden used to be (he needs to move away to get game time!!) always seems to want to include a 'foxtrot' into the build up and momentum is lost. Patience is clearly a virtue but I think we over-egg the pudding by getting to the final third and then three passes later we have returned to passing along the back. Some heart stopping moments and despite Fulham's full on pressing for most of the game the twinkle toes managed to squirt the ball out and away.

Just shows about opinions doesn't it? I also like Knight but somehow he rarely affects games. Doesn't have the pace of Braaf and although quite tricky he doesnt get away from his marker very often. Rogers I just don't get at all. Big lad, quite quick and has a strong shot on him but match after match he seems to contribute nothing at all. I feel like putting a rocket up him at times.

Back on last night I recall the one key save from Slicker rather than 2 and that only came about through a fluke rebound and somehow I never felt they would score. But yes the typical City feeling was around a bit I guess and especially so when Rogers missed the sitter from Braaf's mishit shot

Can't say I've seen his name before. From a quick Google he's a 16 year old CB, Is that right? If so which side does he play?

He played left side with McDonald on the other side. The Fulham fan near me took one look at him and described him as a beast and for a 16 year old that's a good description. He has looked pretty good whenever I have seen him and even better now I know his age. Decent pace , strong of course but also brought the ball out quite well on occasions when he got a bit squeezed showing good composure. He was up against a beast in the Fulham no. 11 playing centrally and he got taken off so maybe that said he had a good game.

Just shows about opinions doesn't it? I also like Knight but somehow he rarely affects games. Doesn't have the pace of Braaf and although quite tricky he doesnt get away from his marker very often. Rogers I just don't get at all. Big lad, quite quick and has a strong shot on him but match after match he seems to contribute nothing at all. I feel like putting a rocket up him at times.

Back on last night I recall the one key save from Slicker rather than 2 and that only came about through a fluke rebound and somehow I never felt they would score. But yes the typical City feeling was around a bit I guess and especially so when Rogers missed the sitter from Braaf's mishit shot
Actually surprised Rogers left West Brom to come here. He was on the fast track to make there first team and even played for the first team last year.

Yes, West Brom are in the championship (but they are first) but he would have accelerated his progress much faster than coming here, we must have offered more money.

Big mistake taking the current pay raise over future success.

I've never been able to watch full youth games, but from what I've read from various watchers, he hasn't impressed at all.

The second one that I thought was our goalie was the CB who put in a last ditch block. I bring a lot of baggage to a game that often interfers with the memory cells once the final whistle has gone!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.