Fabian Delph 2017-18

Discussion in 'Player Performances' started by Gaudion M, 27 Aug 2017.

1. WallyA

WallyA

He basically joins the midfield from the left back position so we always have a double pivot. You constantly see him and Dinho moving together and passing to each other.

Our system ends up looking like a 2-2-4-2 when teams are pinned back, with Walker and Sane high and wide with Sterling joining Jesus/Aguero centrally.

Pep has mentioned needing to buy 2 more players and almost everyone agrees they are probably a DM and a forward. But if we consider the 2-2-4-2 shape above, it makes more sense to me (atleast financially) to just have Delph be the heir to Dinho, buy another LB (or bring in Angelino) and let Mendy and the new LB out wide on the left (like Walker does often). This free's up Sane to play more centrally, not requiring us to buy another forward as well.

2. OB1

OB1

Price you pay for listening to Talkshite ;-)

I am biased of course but I thought Delph very unlucky not to get into the PFA team of the year; maybe you could argue he didn't play enough.

He must be so glad he didn't join Stoke. Really pleased for him.

3. Craig

Craig

What a footballer. Pure class

4. TonyM

TonyM

Pity Delph can't play right back.

5. schfc6

schfc6

3 more starts and no injury. Surely to God he must be going to the World Cup!

6. Neville Kneville

Neville Kneville

The problem with Delph is injuries, obviously, & is unlikely to go away.

So he isn't really our fullback, nor our alternative def mid, he is, like Vinny, a player we 'hope' will be there but we can't assume he will be, so can't really plan any position with him involved. Even if he plays 30 games over the season, he can still go missing for ten in a row, just when the team gets used to functioniung perfectly with him.

It's a real shame. I'm sure he could have developed as a centre mid at City, if he'd been available regularly to actually play that position & learn it. he's a much better footballer than he gets (lack of) credit for.

Great season, nontheless.

7. eversince 76

eversince 76

Absolutely fantastic season at City. And turned himself in to a LB that is great for the way Pep wants his team to play. If he will be 1st choice in the national team at the WC I don't care, but I can understand it from the point of view England do not play like City and they should not try to copy it either.

8. Manchester_lalala

Manchester_lalala

New contract please Pep.

9. BlueisCity

BlueisCity

Any news on a new contract?

10. mosssideblue

mosssideblue

I hope so. Top player and vastly underrated by many