Facebook/WhatsApp/Instagram down

In all seriousness, the much bigger coincidence is Facebook suffering a bizarre systemwide outage - its first ever on this scale - that lasted long enough to stop spread of news on the day a whistleblower delivered devestating testimony to Congress about Facebook, citing FB's own internal reports, showing Facebook already know their product and service was dangerous and very damaging to the mental health of their users.

She will now go on to testify before the Senate - I'll be waiting to see what happens on that day.
Saw her on the news, my guess is that it will lead to nothing. Facebook earn 13 million dollars every minute they can hire the best lawyers and tie things up in knots in court interminably.
She will be discredited as an ex employee with a grudge.

Saw her on the news, my guess is that it will lead to nothing. Facebook earn 13 million dollars every minute they can hire the best lawyers and tie things up in knots in court interminably.
She will be discredited as an ex employee with a grudge.
She's talking to the lawmakers, the people who hold the key to regulation. It is about politics and public opinion, not legal issues.

If it is popular, the politicians will create a completely new and very restrictive framework for facebook.

If it is popular. That is why I am suspicious, to put it mildly. Facebook know full well, what is talked about, shared, and gets reactions on their site, leads to the debate on the floor of the legislatures.

If it isn't watched, isn't talked about, isn't shared - you are taking away the oxygen that fuels the fire of public opinion.

Anyone who caught the news, and searched to find out what was going on with Facebook, was confronted by a million pages of drama about the outage. Without that, they might have read what she was saying.

The whole thing was ridiculous. They sent out a new config to the network that morning. Which is so arcane, such a niche interest, it will never get talked about because no one understands it or is interested in network configuration.

Even savvy people on tech web sites got all excited about the drama, because that's the whole deal with news on the internet. We lose our fucking minds. Which is what this girl was saying - Facebook have measured and understood the effect, and it's really bad.

The reality is, many of those commentators are systems administrators. And any sysadmin worth their salt knows a whole ways that you can accidentally stop their systems from working for several hours - because it's their job to make sure they never do it accidentally - and also to think out ways other people could do stuff like that, and prevent them.

Reality - it could happen, because it would about as difficult, and convincing, as pretending your car won't start by using an old key (that only you know about) you know doesn't work.

Now there are conspiracy theories that it's because Facebook was hacked from the outside, and people took data. Which are complete rubbish, the guy who had the data was just saying, he got it legit, it was not hacked, it's part of what Facebook allow all manner of people to do.

And there's no realistic explanation of how an outsider could shut down the network in such a central way. Nope. It happened because they sent out a new network config - and when it hit, it shut down one thing after another, and because they all rely on each other, that quickly meant everything.

I'm not saying they did this deliberately. I'm saying - I don't know. How could I know what was in this or that person's mind? I can't.

But how believable is it that it was an accident?

How believable is it that they made this mistake, the first of it's kind, a perfect total shut down, one that was easily reversed by the next day - for the first time in twenty years, and it happened at that particular moment?

That's a question for anyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not been on the other two but that Whatsapp app has got legs. You can make calls for free, send pictures for free, message for free, and video link for free.

So therefore who needs Three and the time for hounouring themselves will soon be at an end in November, but I genuinly dread telling those young tele-sales-lads in th'India we're leaving as it will take hours convincing them to simply pass us over to cancellations.

Currently using Whats app and Smarty who piggy back of three and they are superlative. I just recommended the wife and so they gave us both a free month and also £15 of credit each as a thank you. So thats four months each of free sim usage. We get unlimited calls unlimited texts and 3 gig data for £6 each a month and you do not have to give notice. Smarty your a breath of fresh air in a sea of stagnansionry soup. That is all:

Not been on the other two but that Whatsapp app has got legs. You can make calls for free, send pictures for free, message for free, and video link for free.

So therefore who needs Three and the time for hounouring themselves will soon be at an end in November, but I genuinly dread telling those young tele-sales-lads in th'India we're leaving as it will take hours convincing them to simply pass us over to cancellations.

Currently using Whats app and Smarty who piggy back of three and they are superlative. I just recommended the wife and so they gave us both a free month and also £15 of credit each as a thank you. So thats four months each of free sim usage. We get unlimited calls unlimited texts and 3 gig data for £6 each a month and you do not have to give notice. Smarty your a breath of fresh air in a sea of stagnansionry soup. That is all:
Think it’s a bit further on than ‘has legs’ these days!

New tech should obviously be embraced but sometimes just sometimes I need a little push in the right direction. Whatsapp has a purpose in life and has to be an essential piece of kit for every penny pinching crusty like myself.

Speaking of new tech that we have just embracred is the wonderful Google ppPay app. Yes they are nosey holes but the method behind the madness is there for all to see. I can load tickets on for City and I just bought trainline tickets for Chester on Thursday and they loaded on nicely too.

A mention of caution concerning Google is that they will do everything in their power to eliminate competion and I saw this first hand the other day when trying to load little Burnley tickets onto the google app by accesing our email from Firefox. Three hours of messing about and user error after user errors until I logged onto our email from Chrome and then it miraculously popped our tickets in to it's Google Pay.. We disable NFC and then lock the phone to stop it making payments locked but we still feel a little security aware with it's previous credentials.

Firefox is a far more secuirty driven way to surf the web as The Hill Have Eyes!

It's a right riveting piece of kit is Whatsapp and I have no idea where they source their revenue from.. How?
Through the business app and WhatsApp Pay app.

As they’re owned by Facebook, any add anyone clicks in the app related to WhatsApp would also generate income for them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.