Fallout from the Hillsborough Inquest

Silva Citizen

The Taylor report led to All Seater Stadium.

It has now been proven that the Taylor report was based upon fabrications made by the authority's.

These fabrications have led to many millions, probably billions, of pounds spent by football clubs on either all seater stadia, or New Stadia as a result of upgrades being impractical.

There are one or two questions that could be raised here.

Could the clubs now sue the authorities for the cost of this unnecessary spending
Could the clubs now legitimately argue against all seater stadia and fight to bring back standing sections (Standing = Increased capacity, does this equal increased revenue or negate some historical spend)
Would standing sections improve the atmosphere in modern stadia

I am not advocating laying the blame at one persons door, but the authority that failed in the first place (be it the Sheffield Police or Government of GB) has led the football world into much turmoil and inconvenienced many fans (though not as the broadcasters who changed game times to Friday, Sat Sun, or Mon but at least they put money into the pot)

I am sure there are many more questions, but we now know we were duped into all seater Stadia, what should be done about it ? (I bet nothing will be)

Re: Hillsborough Inquest

MrE said:
The Taylor report led to All Seater Stadium.

It has now been proven that the Taylor report was based upon fabrications made by the authority's.

These fabrications have led to many millions, probably billions, of pounds spent by football clubs on either all seater stadia, or New Stadia as a result of upgrades being impractical.

There are one or two questions that could be raised here.

Could the clubs now sue the authorities for the cost of this unnecessary spending
Could the clubs now legitimately argue against all seater stadia and fight to bring back standing sections (Standing = Increased capacity, does this equal increased revenue or negate some historical spend)
Would standing sections improve the atmosphere in modern stadia

I am not advocating laying the blame at one persons door, but the authority that failed in the first place (be it the Sheffield Police or Government of GB) has led the football world into much turmoil and inconvenienced many fans (though not as the broadcasters who changed game times to Friday, Sat Sun, or Mon but at least they put money into the pot)

I am sure there are many more questions, but we now know we were duped into all seater Stadia, what should be done about it ? (I bet nothing will be)

agreed.we the fans have had to pay for seats without choice of standing, all for nothing.
not a happy bunny.

Hopefully Safe standing will be introduced over here... And importantly a more sensible pricing policy overall for entrance to matches.

Well done to the J4-96 campaign

Compulsive Rambler said:
Hopefully Safe standing will be introduced over here... And importantly a more sensible pricing policy overall for entrance to matches.

Many of the "safe standing" systems have a similar capacity to seats so there would be no increase in capacity and therefore no reduced prices.
We need a return to old style terraces but with more full width barriers at shorter intervals to prevent the huge crowd surges.
I started the Charlton promotion game at the back of the Kippax and crowd movements meant I was near the front when the fifth went in.

East Level 2 said:
Compulsive Rambler said:

Many of the "safe standing" systems have a similar capacity to seats so there would be no increase in capacity and therefore no reduced prices.
We need a return to old style terraces but with more full width barriers at shorter intervals to prevent the huge crowd surges.
I started the Charlton promotion game at the back of the Kippax and crowd movements meant I was near the front when the fifth went in.

That is incorrect. To sit down you take up two steps per person. The one your feet rest on and the one your bum sits over. Standing requires one step per person.
Safety authorities state for every 10 people seated, it takes the same space for 9 people standing (don't ask) which is why they take a seat off the end of each row from away fans who persistently stand. So for every 10 seats you get 9 fans x two rows. 10 seats = 18 standing
1000 seats = 1800 standing
3000 = 5400
5000 = 9000
etc
So you can see how capacities can be greatly increased and prices reduced.

Compulsive Rambler said:

Unfortunately the leader of that campaign group is totally against safe standing and will tell anyone who cares to listen.

stonerblue said:
Compulsive Rambler said:

Unfortunately the leader of that campaign group is totally against safe standing and will tell anyone who cares to listen.

Yeah, I was told the biggest barrier to safe standing in the UK is the Hillsbrough support group who would do what they could to oppose it.

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
East Level 2 said:
Compulsive Rambler said:

That is incorrect. To sit down you take up two steps per person. The one your feet rest on and the one your bum sits over. Standing requires one step per person.
Safety authorities state for every 10 people seated, it takes the same space for 9 people standing (don't ask) which is why they take a seat off the end of each row from away fans who persistently stand. So for every 10 seats you get 9 fans x two rows. 10 seats = 18 standing
1000 seats = 1800 standing
3000 = 5400
5000 = 9000
etc
So you can see how capacities can be greatly increased and prices reduced.
Of course I'm incorrect, I must have imagined attending a demonstration of a safe standing system about fourteen or fifteen years ago when the manufacturers demonstrated it took up the same space as seating.
Standing itself has the ratios you state, in fact prior to a couple of incidents the ratio was closer to 3:1, but many safe standing systems are based on fans sitting on a raised seat so their heads are level with those who stand.

With respect looking at the way the evidence given this week has gone I don't expect the fallout will be much concerned about inflated ticket prices

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.