Fear of flying - any tips?

KnaresboroughBlue

I've been terrified of flying for some time now and as a result haven't flown in about 6 years. Fortunately there are plenty of trains and cruises to interesting places in Asia, so neither I, nor my family haven't been too seriously handicapped by it. However, after 20 years away, the time has come now when I have to relocate back to England.

Boat or train isn't very practical so I thought I'd enrol on a couple of these fear of flying programs and hopefully they'd do the trick. I thought they had worked and so went and booked my flights but as time gets closer (we fly this week on Sunday), I'm less and less sure I can do it.

Unfortunately I booked with Malaysian Airlines before one of their plane went missing which hasn't helped much.

Anybody else had the same problem and found a way to deal with it? Any good sleeping tablets or other calming medication? I went to see the doctor here and he gave me a few mild sedatives which, after a trial run, don't seem to work even when I'm not stressed.

I slug down half a bottle of brandy an hour before any flight I am on and it seems to do the trick for me.

Fortunately my general demeanour is such that after a bevvy I don't feel the need to visit any unpleasantness on people so I can get away with it.

Take a bucket of Sangsom and Coke on the plane

Chok dee kap

How can you be scared of flying? Flying is 100% safe. What you should be scared of is crashing - now that is fucking dangerous!
Sit at the back - planes rarely reverse into mountains.

Professor Jeff Rosenthal has determined your chances of surviving your next flight: 99.9999815%. Not bad.

Whoever the fuck that is but yeah, that's apparently the chance of dying in a plane crash. Also worth pointing out you're willing to take cruises and trains while no doubt happy enough to sit in or drive a car, all of which are more likely to suffer a fatal crash than an airplane.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.