#21 | Ferran Torres - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Southgate's hung Foden, Sterling and Kane out to dry so far. They've had little in the way of support and they've been doubled up on more or less throughout. Kane's been dismal even allowing for that, but Foden and Sterling have both done ok in the circumstances
And I’m sure he’s telling Foden not to take on the fullback and play it safe.

And I’m sure he’s telling Foden not to take on the fullback and play it safe.

This is such a poor understanding of how wingers play.

They can't take on the fullback if they don't get the ball early. If you give it to someone like Foden early, he has time and space to take on an isolated fullback and he'll go past them a good % of the time.

If your midfield is slow and shit, the wingers get the ball without space, they're already closed down by the time the ball gets there, and other defenders have taken up the space they'd look to go into after beating the first man.

Pep sets the team up specifically to create 1v1 situations in space for the wide players. City will spend 15-20 passes manipulating the opposition over to one side, before switching play quickly to the winger who's out on the opposite touchline so they can take someone on.

England don't do that, the front 3 are dealing with long balls, incredibly slow ball, or creating their own chances from turnovers. They are avoiding taking on the fullback because it's a fool's errand in the situations they're getting the ball.

Stones has been Englands best player,Bernardo created Portugals first goal and did nothing that warranted an early bath.....Foden and Gundogan ticking over nicely too.

Portugal were miles better balanced when Bernardo and Fernandes came off to be fair. I think that was a valid tactical choice, they needed the midfield bulking up centrally and Jota and Ronaldo were the 2 standout players in the front 4 so they had to stay on.

I suspect Santos will drop Fernandes for Sanches and have something of a halfway house for France - although apparently he's very stubborn so maybe he won't and they'll lose again.

Just on for Spain, one touch, a little flick, and a goal!

Kane my arse!

Harsh on Kane- under Enrique (or any of hundreds of other managers) he would score plenty. Torres is great but we do still need a Kane-level striker IMO.

My hope is that Ferran will get at least 25 league starts next season. If we can't get one of Kane, Haaland or Lukaku (and I assume we won't, given the strict transfer policies under which we're run) I would honestly rather give Torres a go in the striker role than get anyone else. He has the makings of a phenomenal striker and may just need to be given a chance. Could be at least equal to Jesus on the goalscoring front.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.