#21 | Ferran Torres - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harsh on Kane- under Enrique (or any of hundreds of other managers) he would score plenty. Torres is great but we do still need a Kane-level striker IMO.

My hope is that Ferran will get at least 25 league starts next season. If we can't get one of Kane, Haaland or Lukaku (and I assume we won't, given the strict transfer policies under which we're run) I would honestly rather give Torres a go in the striker role than get anyone else. He has the makings of a phenomenal striker and may just need to be given a chance. Could be at least equal to Jesus on the goalscoring front.

I’d say he was a tidy finisher with a poacher’s instincts, but there’s a lot more to being a striker than that, never mind a phenomenal one. Needs to get far more involved in games for starters, and until he does I’d be amazed if he starts 25 league games next season.
First season in a strange league though and having to adapt to a visionary manager will have been tough, so fingers crossed for next season

His movement and composure in front of goal are very good, but still not sure he offers enough otherwise to playing as a striker. I think maybe back in the day he'd have been excellent in a front two partnering a target man, but as a lone centre forward I don't think he's the type to play back-to-goal and bring players into the game enough

I’d say he was a tidy finisher with a poacher’s instincts, but there’s a lot more to being a striker than that, never mind a phenomenal one. Needs to get far more involved in games for starters, and until he does I’d be amazed if he starts 25 league games next season.
First season in a strange league though and having to adapt to a visionary manager will have been tough, so fingers crossed for next season

His movement and composure in front of goal are very good, but still not sure he offers enough otherwise to playing as a striker. I think maybe back in the day he'd have been excellent in a front two partnering a target man, but as a lone centre forward I don't think he's the type to play back-to-goal and bring players into the game enough

We start Gabriel Jesus at striker. The bar is extremely low at the moment when it comes to getting involved in games.

We start Gabriel Jesus at striker. The bar is extremely low at the moment when it comes to getting involved in games.

I don’t think Jesus is the greatest striker in the world (he always strikes me as a scuffer of the ball rather than a thumper of it), but he’s a tenacious bastard outside the box. I share Pep’s view that he’s one of the best pressing forwards in the business. Still some way ahead of Torres for me

I don’t think Jesus is the greatest striker in the world (he always strikes me as a scuffer of the ball rather than a thumper of it), but he’s a tenacious bastard outside the box. I share Pep’s view that he’s one of the best pressing forwards in the business. Still some way ahead of Torres for me
I'd agree with that. Jesus is not a great striker if the ball and he also can't head it. But he does everything else brilliantly. Torres has shown me enough to believe he will be a big player for us but as a wide(ish) man like Foden or Sterling.

Torres just needs to play closer to the striker. If he's the right winger, you place him in a 2 up top. We've done this numerous times when we play with a false 9. You then need to have the full back be on the wing and shift the defenders over. We've played like this with Mendy. We just need to have Cancelo do it from the right, then have a left back in the mold of Walker who can defend. We don't have to play like this in all games. Just against the teams that sit in a low block.

I think Torres will start more games as a false nine or even a striker next season. If he flourishes there then we really don't need another striker

Save the millions and get a left back or CDM or even another attacking midfielder

Gabby's all-round game is much better than Ferran's at the moment

Is it though? How many chances does he actually create? How many attacks does he take part in without losing the ball?

On paper Jesus is the most well-rounded striker in the world. On paper he's got it all- passing, pressing, positioning, running, finishing, hold-up play, dribbling. On the pitch it's been years since he regularly actually played at that standard.

Is it though? How many chances does he actually create? How many attacks does he take part in without losing the ball?

On paper Jesus is the most well-rounded striker in the world. On paper he's got it all- passing, pressing, positioning, running, finishing, hold-up play, dribbling. On the pitch it's been years since he regularly actually played at that standard.

Jesus plays more passes per game than Torres, more key passes, wins more headers, completes more dribbles, takes more shots, wins the ball more, and is fouled more often. He is absolutely more involved in games than Torres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.