Ferran Torres

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a signing, and for what money?

If I could pick any young winger in world football to join this club, I would not chose anyone else. Even before the Sané-leaving rumours took place, I wasn’t excited about anyone other than this guy. What a steal.

Sterling, Mahrez, Foden and Bernardo all need competition to stay sharp. This guy will offer us something different.

You haven't made a single argument for why he would either? Nothing except "I think he can".

Fact is we had Jesus + Aguero out more than a few times in the 4 years he was here and Pep never once went with him in the middle, always preferred other options who had the ability to play centrally.

I guess we will see in 10 years but until then I don't see much point in carrying on an argument that's you saying "I think he can just because I do" vs. me saying "well he couldn't do it at a young age when he tried and the best manager in the world, who famously likes moving wingers inside, avoided playing him there at all costs"

If you're gonna reply, do it in a Sané thread so we don't further derail this one.

It's okay, don't care enough about a player who left us to continue the argument. Let's get back to Torres.
One thing that's also quite interesting is the amount of games he's already played as a 20 year old (& 6 months). Although young we're signing quite an experienced player, which means he might not take as long to settle (it will still take some time though).

He's played 109 times, 97 of those in one of the top 2 leagues in the world.

At that age that's more games than: Mahrez, Silva, De Bruyne, Foden, Bernardo, Salah, Mane, Sane, O. Dembele, Coman and Sancho.

In fact off of the top of my head I could only find Messi, Ronaldo and Sterling who had started out on the wing and played more games (and are still playing).

Add that us paying just over £20m and we're getting some deal.
This is what excite me about him the most. As I was reading some analysis way back on Sterling and why some moneyball type analysts were dead certain he was going to become WC. This was back when we were trying to get him.

They argued that the factor that had the greatest correlation to whether you'd become a great player was simply how many senior games you had by a 20.

Apparently almost everyone who had a certain # (I don't remember the number now) but almost everyone with that number by age 20 became a star. And at the time Sterling had that number beat by a lot.

So they concluded that they'd bet the house on Sterling becoming a star.

Seeing how many games this lad has played reminded me of that article. Pretty much can bet he'll become a star based on statistical correlation.

I'm excited :)

he looks very exciting,not sure prem players will fall for the ball through the legs trick for long though,think he will get battered a lot
They fell for it for every game Suarez played for Liverpool. Some players are just very good at the nutmeg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.