FIFA new Offside Rule , Vote is coming

I dislike the sort of non-offside call for the first goal scored by Belgium v. Russia - a ball was played toward Lukako in an otherwise clearly offside position. A Russian defender was able to intercept the pass and attempt a play on the ball - he messed up and the ball continued onto Lukaku who scored.
===
That's what 's fucked up mostly for me.

Had the defender simply let the ball run to Lukako - he'd have been ruled offside and the goal would have been disallowed.
===
How is it best for the sport when a defender is better off not making a play for the ball?

The offside law doesnt really need changing, they just need to stop using VAR for it. Maybe 2 or 3 times a season we really got a shocker and that was it prior to VAR. Now its a controversial talking point in every singe game just about.

I dislike the sort of non-offside call for the first goal scored by Belgium v. Russia - a ball was played toward Lukako in an otherwise clearly offside position. A Russian defender was able to intercept the pass and attempt a play on the ball - he messed up and the ball continued onto Lukaku who scored.
===
That's what 's fucked up mostly for me.

Had the defender simply let the ball run to Lukako - he'd have been ruled offside and the goal would have been disallowed.
===
How is it best for the sport when a defender is better off not making a play for the ball?

Are you not aware of the offside trap?

Are you not aware of the offside trap?
Huh? WTF has an offside trap got to do with the fact that a defensive player who attempts to head a ball or to play it with his feet somehow makes an opponent behind him - otherwise offside - suddenly not offside?

That, under current rules, the defensive player is better off just letting the ball go past him?

That - to me - is totally fucked up. That it's better not trying to play the ball.

That - in fact - trying to play the ball - may defeat the offside trap if the defender misheads/misplays.

The ball is played by an attacker - the other attacker whom the ball is intended for is offside -yet a defender attempts to break up play - but the ball goes past him - and suddenly the offside attacker isn't offside...

WTF?

Last edited:
Huh? WTF has an offside trap got to do with the fact that a defensive player who attempts to head a ball or to play it with his feet somehow makes an opponent behind him - otherwise offside - suddenly not offside?

Because the offside trap involves the players deliberately not playing the ball, they push up to catch the defender offside but they aren't attempting to play the ball.

Because the offside trap involves the players deliberately not playing the ball, they push up to catch the defender offside but they aren't attempting to play the ball.
The offside trap involves players moving up in unison. For sure.

It 100% does not involve an intentional not-playing the ball.

Mostly if the ball is seemingly playable, a defender will try to make a play on the ball - in spite of having moved up to place potential attackers offside. And that's how it should be - to punish a player for trying to make a play on the ball in such cases is wrong IMO and detracts from the game. A rule change here would - for me - be most welcome.

Last edited:
The offside trap involves players moving up in unison. For sure.

It 100% does not involve an intentional not-playing the ball.

Mostly if the ball is seemingly playable, a defender will try to make a play on the ball - in spite of having moved up to place potential defenders offside. And that's how it should be - to punish a player for trying to make a play on the ball in such cases is wrong IMO and detracts from the game. A rule change here would - for me - be most welcome.

Yes, it involves deliberately not making a play on the ball but vacating the space.

Two similar set pieces, but one involved a defending player trying to be the hero.

Yes, it involves deliberately not making a play on the ball but vacating the space.

Two similar set pieces, but one involved a defending player trying to be the hero.

I saw the first video - I don't get your point. I was unable to watch the 2nd video (not available to view in the USA).

This is quintessential to why I think a rule change is in order:

How on earth is Lukaku's goal allowed - why? - because under current rules the defender tried to make a play on the ball. IMO - this is why the offside rule needs to be changed.

I saw the first video - I don't get your point. I was unable to watch the 2nd video (not available to view in the USA).

This is quintessential to why I think a rule change is in order:

How on earth is Lukaku's goal allowed - why? - because under current rules the defender tried to make a play on the ball. IMO - this is why the offside rule needs to be changed.

Ironically I can't see your video either.

Mine was chiapas v Morelio, in case you want to find a copy that works in USA.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.