FIFA to consider World Cup every 2 years

Given the backlash again at the recently proposed European Super League, should we ask the fans?

Nah, they'll love it. It's not as if having more of something makes it less special. Take money for example...

Football will end up with less fans and more casual viewers, and stadiums filled with corporates and team building days.

I remember being allowed to stay up and watch the world cup in exotic far away places, the players were players I had never heard of and the places they played in had long names, it was different.

Now we are saturated, it's not really that special and FIFA want to make a fast buck at the expense of the sport.
I'm probably from a similar generation to you - I remember as a 7 year old watching fuzzy highlights of the 1962 Finals that had to be flown back to the UK as there were no comms satellites for tv then. I still see the World Cup as a special event but every two years would be crazy.

What about every 3 years?

Most players only ever get to play in two or three World Cups (first XI). The ones who make the breakthrough at a young age (19/20) have a chance to play in four.

A World Cup every 3 years would mean an extra chance at playing in one for them. I'd be in favour of that even if it meant losing the Euros in its current format.

Have UEFA commented?
The Euros are significantly ahead of the other continental competitions when it comes to global audiences so is this an attempt by FIFA to get one over on UEFA?
Like it or lump it, European football brings in more dosh and FIFA hate the idea of UEFA being more powerful than the global association. And UEFA have the decency to hide their corruption within competition rules rather than resort to filthy cash inducements.

Why can’t the governing bodies and club boardrooms just leave football alone?!

Last edited by a moderator:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.