FIFA Women's WC France 2019

It’s always been better , more exciting to watch a game live , var will change this , showtime soccer for a tv audience but worse than that BT decided who won our game against Spurs ...think about that , a tv company decided who won a match , is this the road we want to go down ?

How the hell anyone who thinks VAR will help us next season is completely and utterly beyond me. You must think both the decisions against Spurs were absolutely correct ? Fair enough if you do, I don't. Lets reconvene a few matches into next season and see if you still think the same.
There were 5 Var decisions in the Spurs game
Townsend handball appeal
Kompany handball appeal
Aguero offside
Llorente handball appeal
Son goal (was ball over the line)
Which ones were incorrect

Amen!
Finally, some sense.
VAR has made me realise how many decisions we’ve allowed to let go during a match, it’s ridiculous how many years we’ve put up with offside goals and wrong penalty decisions. How anyone can be happy to go back to the officials guessing over VAR beats me.
Yeah, VAR has exposed just how off the pace refereeing used to be. Asking 3 people (two with restricted movement) on a 7000sqm pitch to spot every single tiny decision at full pace with a horde of footballers moving in and out of the way possibly blocking your view over a period of 90+ minutes makes it seem impossible that a large amount of mistakes won't be made. When VAR's cleaned up a bit after a while it'll be so much for the better.

I thought it was a great match. Definitely one of the best matches I've seen in a WWC in a long time. I think Neville made a mistake not having Barnsley in goal.

For the the guff that Naeher has gotten trying to replace arguably the greatest women's keeper of all time (Hope Solo), she was huge today. I had no problem with the penalty call. It was obviously not intentional or a standard takedown, but it was a foul that kept a scoring attempt from happening. So it was correct. The VAR decision to take the goal off the board was also correct based on what was shown here. She was only a few inches off, but off is still off.

As far as VAR on the whole, I'm as critical as anybody. I think an easy way to "fix" it is to put a few limitations on it. To me, the objective of VAR is to correct "clear and obvious mistakes." So I would put a 30 second timer for the booth to review. If they can't determine if the call on the field wasn't correct in that amount of time, then it wasn't a clear and obvious mistake. They either change the call to the official or tell the official to go look at the monitor. Again, the official only gets 30 seconds. So other than how long it takes the official to get to the monitor, a max of a minute of stoppage.

Now for the arrogance of the USWNT (and some of the fans), I am not a fan of the actions of several of the players. In particular Rapinoe. She's a hell of a player. Better now than she was 4 years ago which is crazy. But her on field and particularly her off field actions are offensive to me. I love to watch her play, but hate the baggage that comes with it.

I don't know that I agree with everybody saying that England was the better team despite the score. That happens, of course, but the reality is that the US had the same game plan for England that they had for France. It wasn't about holding the ball or passing numbers, it was about setting up the counter and making life difficult in the final third. So the numbers will always be in the favor of the opponent, that is what is expected. As City fans, we have gotten used to having the ball and being the better team. But there are other ways to play and win. Its sometimes ugly, but it can be effective.

Side note: the US group was the last to play. So the US had one day less rest than Spain in the knockouts. Then the US had one day less rest than France in the quarters. Today the US had one day less rest than England in the Semis. Playing every 3rd day when the opponents are getting 4 days is not easy. So I would guess that there was a fatigue difference between the the teams. Fortunately that won't be the case in the final.

England was very good. I don't know if they were better than France, but either way, they were in the discussion for the best team in this WC.

It’s always been better , more exciting to watch a game live , var will change this , showtime soccer for a tv audience but worse than that BT decided who won our game against Spurs ...think about that , a tv company decided who won a match , is this the road we want to go down ?

Exactly mate. Showtime soccer for a TV audience with the desired outcome...…………..wrestling anyone ?? I honestly don't understand how people can watch MOTD or BT or Sky, listen to the commentators and pundits, see and hear their nonsense commentary on our games and the way they use replays to try to make their point...….and then think this will all be used to make the game fairer. Naïve or what ?

Llorente handball appeal
To give the Aguero offside which was so marginal no Spurs player or fan was expecting VAR to come into it(not to mention he moved into an onside position upon receiving it thus gained no advantage). Then to claim a ball coming off the elbow and changing the final direction of the ball was too marginal or explain it away on a rule meant for defenders blocking shots on goal is double standards.

That Sterling goal never gets ruled out without VAR, so by the same token with VAR in place the only truly fair call is if the Lorrente goal never should have stood. For it to be fair it has be as simple as that. None of these ridiculous grey areas that never existed before VAR came in, it's supposed to get rid of them, not create them.

Eni Aluko just went off here on Fox about Neville for selecting a formation that made some players play a role they had never played.
He's done that every game this tournament. This was the first time he should've kept it as it was due to familiarity. Alas..

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.