Films that were acclaimed that are actually rubbish

"How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap stinking chip-oil?
Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly, thou."
tzvRNLa.gif
Ha ha, I rest my case

What powers?

Only the Maiar and sauron had proper magical powers, the elves and ring wraiths could wield some magic and enchant objects but not do much more than small scale stuff like, not enough to win an all out war.

Using the one rings magic was lethal long term.

It was mainly non magical beings on the quest, the Maiar are less fighty and more magical in the books tbf.

And Sauron was one of the Maiar - him, Gandalf, Saruman are the only ones in the story, two of them good guys and limited in what they could do, until Saruman had been corrupted from his purpose by Sauron. As you say, apart from Gandalf, the Fellowship were some guys with some toys.

It may well make less sense without the full background which explained the Rings part of Lord of the Rings, which is only got a potted version in the films.
The cutting of the Scouring from the Shire from the cinema release also took a large part of the big picture story with it.

Two of the three Christopher Nolan's Batman films. Especially the one with Bane and Catwoman (although I did enjoy the cat suit).

Take a bow Woody Allen, you caddish purveyor of The Emperor's New Clothes because humanity has found you out, exposing vanity before customer base. How the luvies waved and thrashed, but all i see is a motion-picture director, screenwriter, actor, comedian, playwright, and author with not a single stitch of clothing on.

I remember the furore about it when it came out, I was at school and I thought, I must watch that fucker one day.
I watched it and thought, WTF did I just watch :-)
It looks very tame by today's standards. But that came out in the early 70s (I think), and scenes like the tramp being attacked, or the rape scene were shocking back then.

It looks very tame by today's standards. But that came out in the early 70s (I think), and scenes like the tramp being attacked, or the rape scene were shocking back then.
Yeah 1971 I think, it was tagged as a very shocking film at the time and I think it was banned in a lot of cinemas, as you say it’s aged very badly and my appraisal of it was based on watching it about 10 years ago when your average kids film was more violent and disturbing .... !

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.