Films that were acclaimed that are actually rubbish

It looks very tame by today's standards. But that came out in the early 70s (I think), and scenes like the tramp being attacked, or the rape scene were shocking back then.
I don't know, I remember watching a film from 1967 where a woman fucks a dead fish. French, if it needed to be said.

Yeah 1971 I think, it was tagged as a very shocking film at the time and I think it was banned in a lot of cinemas, as you say it’s aged very badly and my appraisal of it was based on watching it about 10 years ago when your average kids film was more violent and disturbing .... !
Kubrick himself withdrew the film from circulation as it had been linked to a lot of copy cat gang violence in the UK.

Super hero/comic book films. They’re all dreadful! None of them have a decent storyline in them and are all predictable.

Pre-Craig James Bond.

Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King.
The first two are good, but that third one is fucking rubbish! Full of; “what the fuck is this?” “why’s he just sat there?” “what’s he doing?” moments and rubbish fight scenes.
Sauron is a joke - built up over about seven hours to be this frightening being and turns out to be a six foot easily defeated bloke in a tin suit. Balrog is a more fearsome enemy who Gandalf (who just sits on a rock in the final film, doing jack shit, even though he’s now a white wizard and killed loads of Orcs at the end of the second film) defeated in the first film.

Eternal Sunshine Of A Spotless Mind.
Someone said to me once it was the best romantic film they’d ever seen. I watched it recently and it’s fucking shite!

No Country For Old Men.
Whats the fucking point in the entire film?
Agree with all except Lord of the Rings. How dare you insult LOTR!

Blade Runner. I just don't get the hype about it. You can also chuck in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Absolute garbage.
Was forced to watch/study Blade Runner in my last year of high school. Didn't enjoy it. Decided to watch it again before watching Blade Runner 2049 (10 years after finishing high school) and still didn't like it. I liked the atmosphere it creates but the movie is too dreary for me. Really enjoyed 2049 though! Worth watching, I think the original is needed to get context though.

Although you could make the same complaint about the last half of GOT too.
I got so bored of the abundance of scenes where characters were just boringly prattling on about nonsense that I never finished GOT. Still got the last two series to watch, but probably never will.

Same as Breaking Bad, never finished the last two series of that neither. I didn’t like a single character in the entire thing, hated the lot of them.

It looks very tame by today's standards. But that came out in the early 70s (I think), and scenes like the tramp being attacked, or the rape scene were shocking back then.
Which tells you a lot. These days kids regularly watch that level of violence and sexual violence.

It’s not a case that times have moved on and we should just accept that neither, I think it’s a really bad thing!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.