Financial investment advice

blue_paul

Peeps,
I've been saving for a house for a while now and have a substantial amount saved in an account. I don't fancy buying any time soon as I believe prices still have some way to come down (I live in Dublin) so I was thinking about investing some or all of the money in shares or such like.
Unfortunately, I'm not exactly Gordon Gekko and wouldn't know where to start, all I know is that if you invested in gold this last decade you were on to a winner.

Any financial whizz's out there care to lend me some advice? Would you spread the money around so as to minimise poential losses and is there any point to this if I was looking for a return within 24 months or would you just leave it in a high interest account?

blue_paul said:
Peeps,
I've been saving for a house for a while now and have a substantial amount saved in an account. I don't fancy buying any time soon as I believe prices still have some way to come down (I live in Dublin) so I was thinking about investing some or all of the money in shares or such like.
Unfortunately, I'm not exactly Gordon Gekko and wouldn't know where to start, all I know is that if you invested in gold this last decade you were on to a winner.

Any financial whizz's out there care to lend me some advice? Would you spread the money around so as to minimise poential losses and is there any point to this if I was looking for a return within 24 months or would you just leave it in a high interest account?

If there were an easy-money solution everyone would do it, mate. How much cash are we talking?

A building society will get you a tiny rate of interest,maybe a percent or two.

You can invest some of it in as ISA if you want but even they don't make masses to be honest and there is a limit.

With bigger amounts you can buy various different "funds", basically a spread of stocks, shares etc which will probably but not definitely get you a slightly better return than a building society.

Putting it on shares is like backing horses with it. I really wouldn't bother.

blue_paul said:
Peeps,

Many would be able to offer you some advice on where to invest and where not BUT it is absolutely essential to consult with an asset management service because they would take into account every aspect of your finances , lifestyle , future plans etc and then offer the ideal personalized investment strategy tailored to meet your needs and goals.Whereas , if you just act on general advice without considering all aspects of your finance and life and future plans, there is a very very high chance that it might all end in failure.

I am studying to become a Financial Analyst , so i know the importance of these other aspects of finance that most people dont consider.

But if you dont want the hassle of dealing with asset management firms etc , you could invest in a risk free mutual fund scheme although the returns are not that good.

blue_paul said:
Peeps,
To make a decent return on safe shares you would need to keep your money tied up for some years probably. In the meantime, you may well see the house you want. No idea what the market is like in Dublin but I reckon it's more or less stabilised here and any talk of a further wipe-out in the housing market is scaremongering.

So I reckon you are better to keep your cash on deposit but check to see if there are any good rates for tying up a lot of cash for a time (e.g. 12 months). At worst, you'd lose a bit of interest if you had to withdraw it at short notice.

With interest rates being so low and for a short term you havent got many great choices
Ive just banged the max amount on premium bonds...some times I win ..last month I won 5 x £25 ...this month nowt..depends on how lucky you are ...good fun on the 2nd of every month seeing if ive won the mill though

Thanks for athe advice folks!

Dave, I'd be looking at little less than 20k sterling, not a huge amount but I was just wondering about doing something with it rather than just leaving it in an account. The missus has roughly the same amount and it's just going to be topped up over the next 18-24 months, seems a shame not to try anything with it but as you said, if it was easy to make money on it, everyone would be at it.

Prestwich, believe me, the Irish market has a hell of a way to fall, it's still ridiculously over-priced and with another round of 'austerity measures' to come in December, we're going to see a lot more people defaulting on mortgages they could never afford anyway. The fucking bastards are talking about cutting my parents old age pension now, this is how bad things are.
4.5 billion cuts this budget in a country with a population of just over four million. I'm sure you've heard about our bank bailouts too, 50 yes that's FIFTY billion and counting. Place is fucked.

Ragnarok, cheers for that advice, I'll look into a risk free mutual fund scheme whatever that may be. Don't fancy handing over significant sums to a broker really, you all seem to preach caution on the matter anyway.

blue_paul said:
Thanks for athe advice folks!

Dave, I'd be looking at little less than 20k sterling, not a huge amount but I was just wondering about doing something with it rather than just leaving it in an account. The missus has roughly the same amount and it's just going to be topped up over the next 18-24 months, seems a shame not to try anything with it but as you said, if it was easy to make money on it, everyone would be at it.

Prestwich, believe me, the Irish market has a hell of a way to fall, it's still ridiculously over-priced and with another round of 'austerity measures' to come in December, we're going to see a lot more people defaulting on mortgages they could never afford anyway. The fucking bastards are talking about cutting my parents old age pension now, this is how bad things are.
4.5 billion cuts this budget in a country with a population of just over four million. I'm sure you've heard about our bank bailouts too, 50 yes that's FIFTY billion and counting. Place is fucked.

Ragnarok, cheers for that advice, I'll look into a risk free mutual fund scheme whatever that may be. Don't fancy handing over significant sums to a broker really, you all seem to preach caution on the matter anyway.

Of course they are not totally risk free, but the risk is negligible but yet they are advertised as risk free.Also , they are called mutual fund schemes over here in India , but since you havent heard of them , i have a nagging feeling that they are called something else in the UK

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.