Grenfell Tower block disaster

You are right. The Tory government didn't support the amendment re homes being fit for human habitation. I can't imagine why I thought that.

309 Tory MPs voted against it, of whom 72 were landlords.

Why is that relevant; as I have already said, the requirement is already covered by the Housing Act.

Why is that relevant; as I have already said, the requirement is already covered by the Housing Act.
There are of course implied statutory repairing obligations on landlords to keep in repair the structure and exterior of their properties, and to repair installations for the supply of water, heating and sanitation. However, existing provisions requiring landlords to ensure that their properties are fit for human habitation are almost entirely obsolete.
Whilst Section 8 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 prescribes implied terms in tenancy agreements that require landlords to let properties fit for human habitation, the implied terms only apply to properties with an annual rent of £52 or less outside of London and £80 or less in London and those rent limits have remained unchanged since 1957!
The good news is that this is back in parliament and has passed its second reading so landlords will need to ensure issues such as damp, ventilation, cooking facilities and sanitation are addressed as well as category 1 hazards such as; exposed wiring, broken boilers, very cold rooms, mould, pests and vermin, leaking roofs and broken stairs. None of that can be viewed as a bad thing, I wouldn’t have thought.

I think once the fire regs changed and it put the emphasis on the landlords to self regulate the writing was in the wall, we said that most wouldn’t have a clue or take a chance of not been caught, this has obviously come back to bite them. I know many are now asking for sprinklers but long term these will be a huge problem and cost due to vandalism and accidental actuation. The damage caused by the water would be horrendous if not turned off quickly. I personally don’t have the answers apart from maybe funding a proper and fit for purpose fire service, but maybe that’s asking a bit much, maybe we should blame brexit on it!!

Heart rending stories coming out again on the first anniversary and amazingly so many still in temporary accommodation still. Watched an interesting documentary on BBC2 earlier about the endemic rich vs poor issues over about 150 years in the borough. You just have to hope that things will change after the fire and that people will face serious charges if laws have been broken........one can only hope that todays jailing of the owner of the firework factory shows that there is a will for people to be made to face the consequences of their actions

Heart rending stories coming out again on the first anniversary and amazingly so many still in temporary accommodation still. Watched an interesting documentary on BBC2 earlier about the endemic rich vs poor issues over about 150 years in the borough. You just have to hope that things will change after the fire and that people will face serious charges if laws have been broken........one can only hope that todays jailing of the owner of the firework factory shows that there is a will for people to be made to face the consequences of their actions

At least Theresa May eventually apologised aftet a year. I think that should be a headline in itself. 1 year to apologise for the part her councilors played.......hang on........thats not the reason she has apologised? She has only apologised for not speaking to the people?

This firefighters interview shpuld tell everyone everything they need to know.
https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/grenfell-tower-fire-one-year-one-kensington-a8397276.html

At least Theresa May eventually apologised aftet a year. I think that should be a headline in itself. 1 year to apologise for the part her councilors played.......hang on........thats not the reason she has apologised? She has only apologised for not speaking to the people?

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/grenfell-tower-fire-one-year-one-kensington-a8397276.html

In all seriousness and in reluctant defence of May she just doesn't do emotions and meeting people well at all - I can imagine the dilemma "her people" had at the time and only now she can appreciate how much she messed up.

Probably not - as I said my defence was reluctant for the reasons I said - I think she is an emotionally stilted character who doesn't do any people related things at all well. Just look at how she contorts her face when answering an "awkward" question.

Mistake in the piece - no ban on smoke alarms (which should be in each flat - and everyone's home, preferably wired in). He meant fire alarms I think.

Surprised he didn't relate the need for multiple entries with breathing apparatus to having a lot fewer fire fighters these days. Or mention having Manchester's former fire chief as a technical expert to the inquiry when he's been happy to implement the government's cuts.

Why haven’t they knocked it down yet? I presume they must be planning to. I went past it on Tuesday and at least they have wrapped it in some kind of outer layer now, but must be awful for the local residents for it still to be looming over them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.