Grenfell Tower block disaster

A terrible tragedy for those directly involved but a bonanza for todays shameless media and any badge loving, self serving politition or councillor. Just get those made homeless by the fire rehoused quickly making sure it’s not some shady subletting landlord who benefits from obtaining a shiny new pad.

What do people make of this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...enfell-survivors-DIDNT-live-tower-hotels.html

A couple of survivors who didn’t live there are still being put up by the council at a four star hotel as they don’t want to return to their own private accommodation due to panic attacks:

“One student, who said he was visiting a friend on the night of the blaze, has argued that what he witnessed caused him such distress he cannot return to his home.

He did go back to his privately-rented shared flat in another part of London for a few weeks following the fire, but after contacting the council he was placed in a four-star hotel in west London.

He has been living in the hotel, with breakfast and dinner included, for much of the past 12 months at an estimated cost of more than £1,000-per-week. The student said he could not return to his original accommodation four miles from the tower because he is suffering from flashbacks and panic attacks.

‘I didn’t live there but I’m affected like everybody else,’ he said. ‘I went to the council support centre and told them how I am affected and asked whether they could pay the rent or get me a room. I said I needed urgent help. I need to be in a safe environment. They wouldn’t listen to anything because I came from a different borough. They kept pushing me away.’”

Seems a bit of a piss take that. It absolutely right that those that lost their houses are looked after and the same for those sub-letting or whose partners lived there but the guy above seems to be just milking it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...enfell-survivors-DIDNT-live-tower-hotels.html

A couple of survivors who didn’t live there are still being put up by the council at a four star hotel as they don’t want to return to their own private accommodation due to panic attacks:

“One student, who said he was visiting a friend on the night of the blaze, has argued that what he witnessed caused him such distress he cannot return to his home.

He did go back to his privately-rented shared flat in another part of London for a few weeks following the fire, but after contacting the council he was placed in a four-star hotel in west London.

He has been living in the hotel, with breakfast and dinner included, for much of the past 12 months at an estimated cost of more than £1,000-per-week. The student said he could not return to his original accommodation four miles from the tower because he is suffering from flashbacks and panic attacks.

‘I didn’t live there but I’m affected like everybody else,’ he said. ‘I went to the council support centre and told them how I am affected and asked whether they could pay the rent or get me a room. I said I needed urgent help. I need to be in a safe environment. They wouldn’t listen to anything because I came from a different borough. They kept pushing me away.’”

Seems a bit of a piss take that. It absolutely right that those that lost their houses are looked after and the same for those sub-letting or whose partners lived there but the guy above seems to be just milking it.
It's just money, I guess. Probably cheaper to pay this than any subsequent fines and court costs the council might end up paying should these people try suing them later.

It might seem like a pisstake but I guess it depends on their experience of the event. Might/probably have seen some dreadful stuff, and whatever the circumstances, the council are responsible for that.

It might seem like a pisstake but I guess it depends on their experience of the event. Might/probably have seen some dreadful stuff, and whatever the circumstances, the council are responsible for that.
But why would that make him need to stay in a hotel where he’s given free breakfast and dinner as opposed to living in his own private accommodation in another part of London?

there is a danger that this story will deflect the search for culpability as to how this tragedy occurred in the first place. Given the track record of the mail , it is probably the intention of the article to do just that. In the overall scheme of all things Grenfell ( multiple deaths, dereliction of duty, potential for many millions of pounds in reparations to be paid by the tax-payer, and the likelihood that flammable fire-prevention measures will have to be replaced nationwide ) surely, petty crime of this nature is very small potatoes, but then entirely predictable that the mail should deem it important

there is a danger that this story will deflect the search for culpability as to how this tragedy occurred in the first place. Given the track record of the mail , it is probably the intention of the article to do just that. In the overall scheme of all things Grenfell ( multiple deaths, dereliction of duty, potential for many millions of pounds in reparations to be paid by the tax-payer, and the likelihood that flammable fire-prevention measures will have to be replaced nationwide ) surely, petty crime of this nature is very small potatoes, but then entirely predictable that the mail should deem it important
Are you saying that you can’t follow two distinct thought processes at the same time? Or that you can but other can’t?

It absolutely fine to take the two themes separately, have genuine concern for the residents, want blame to be apportioned to those responsible AND think this guy is a chancer.

But I’m not surprised by your reaction, I expected it from someone, so just to be clear, my comment was about this guy and this guy alone.

Are you saying that you can’t follow two distinct thought processes at the same time? Or that you can but other can’t?

It absolutely fine to take the two themes separately, have genuine concern for the residents, want blame to be apportioned to those responsible AND think this guy is a chancer.

But I’m not surprised by your reaction, I expected it from someone, so just to be clear, my comment was about this guy and this guy alone.

I think its pretty shameful what the guy’s doing and when he’s older he’ll hopefully regret it.

I appreciate there will be distress but I’m not sure how being in a hotel and having his meals paid for is helping, when there’s genuinely people homeless.

It's in the daily mail so it's either bullshit or incredibly inaccurate. That's what I make of it

Well given the upset some firefighters have clearly demonstrated the last couple of days who is to say this poor sod hasn't got PTSD too? As for the hotel accommodation thats as much down to the absurd property market in London that means suitable alternative ( and cheaper ) accommodation probably isn't available.

As for the source.... well its the Mail isn't it? They love to agitate their readers over breakfast. Alongside reporting the absence of crumpets this story has all the required dog whistles in it - students - non-home owners - council support - a grand a week costs - just enough to get the blood pressure of " Mr Angry of Surbiton" on the rise for the day.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.