First game....

Luton Town 1983, at least it set my expectations realistically. My dad was a Derby County fan but took me and my mate in the Maine stand. I remember the kids asking for money to look after the car, my Dad was savvy enough to tell them he would pay them after the game if all was well which of course ot was. I remember some bloke in front of us smoking the biggest cigar I had ever seen the entire game. I have few memories of the game itself, unfortunately I can remember it was the first time I saw a grown man cry. The other abiding memory were the fights afterwards and mounted police chasing groups down the alleyways.

Norwich City at home.

My Dad took me aged 13, 16th April 1994. Finished 1-1 with Uwe Rosler equalising 46th min in the 2nd half.

Still have the ticket stub.

Been by my Dad's side ever since for each game, either at the ground, listening on GMR or on a stream.

He's very ill now and I'm dreading the day he won't be here where me, my brothers and him can cheer and moan about the match together.

My brother started taking me in 73, not sure which game, but the first one i remember was Plymouth in the league cup. Remember the away fans with their green flags, and the whole thing of travelling to the game, sitting on the kippax wall, the fags getting lit up in the main stand, bovril and pie sellers walking along with their white wooden trays suspended from straps around their necks, the police filing round to the whistling of der der der der, der der der der. der der der der, der der der der. Cant imagine todays first time is as memorable, but everything from the time you left your house, in fact no, hours before, was all part of going to the match. Something we then do every fortnight for the rest of our days, ( and all aways until mortgages and kids come along).

January 1973 for me, league cup replay v Coventry. Played on a Tuesday afternoon due to no floodlights during the miners strike.
sat in the Gene Kelly stand and got totally piss wet through, didn’t give a monkeys cos I seen my heroes for the first time.
won 4-2 with goals from Summerbee, Lee 2 and Law, we was 2-1 down with 10 minutes to go

First game was at Maine road but I barely remember any of it, first Premier league game was the Wolves game at home 2003/04. Losing 3-2 my dad said we should leave and I asked if we could stand in the walkway on the stairs just too watch the last minute and SWP pops up with a late equaliser. It’s a moment I can always picture

My dad (rip and thanks for being a blue ) took me to my 1st game at 13 years old...the sight of the pitch the floodlights, the crowd the atmosphere I was sold for life

77-78 season city v Utd 3-1 probably remember that more than any ive seen it’s like your first love at school.
I remember listening to the greatest commentator ever in Peter Jones on radio 2 before I went to main road building a picture what of was like to be there when we had second half commentaries .
my late uncle ray took me and wow just wow
I know take his grandchildren.
A great thread this .

Burnley, Charity Shield (yes, "Charity"), Maine Road. Sometime around '71 or' 72,I think. And yes, I'm pretty sure we lost!
One of the few times I ventured amidst the hooligans on The Kippax, I saw Burnley lift the First Division title in '61 with a 2-1 win, and conversely a 2-1 loss for City, Wonder how many times I've seen City get sod all from a game for the want of a single goal?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.