First game....

First I remember is a night game,does anyone remember Tony Coleman ripping his shorts and had to change them,would have been approx 1969 era,no idea who the opposition were,guessing Everton maybe,stood at the top of the Kippax stand on the fencing they had to get a better view as would have been 6/7 years old with my brother and dad.

January 1973 for me, league cup replay v Coventry. Played on a Tuesday afternoon due to no floodlights during the miners strike.
sat in the Gene Kelly stand and got totally piss wet through, didn’t give a monkeys cos I seen my heroes for the first time.
won 4-2 with goals from Summerbee, Lee 2 and Law, we was 2-1 down with 10 minutes to go
Great game this and one of my favourites....you must have been stood up , no seats in the corner at that time

Long time ago, about a week before Christmas, a very good friend asked if I wanted to go to the match on Boxing Day with him. He was (still is) a red Dipper supporter and, importantly, he had a car...(we live in Northampton). Anyway, we went to the game, it was the 3-1 win at Anfield in 1981. We stood on the Kop and about the only thing I remember of the day apart from the score, was big Joe Corrigan getting hit on the head by a bottle one of those twat fans had thrown.
Going off piste a bit to tell about my second match...the May Bank Holiday loss at Notts County in 1985. Had my own car by now so drove there myself and remember it was a gorgeous day. Driving from the M1 into Nottingham, I remember seeing loads of Blues in all the pub gardens, and of course the ground was absolutely rammed. Two pretty memorable games for someone who goes less than once a year!

The advice I always give to folk who've never been to a game of football is 'Go to a night match'!
I never forget the experience off my first night game,
Seeing the floodlights from a distance,then getting closer hearing the chants whilst walking amongst other blues,
Then getting to the turnstiles checking what number to produce from your season ticket book,
Then charging in through the tunnel and seeing that ocean off green under the night lights is something special
Players giving autographs to us youngsters pitch side,
Must admit I still get a buzz seeing that ocean off green with the floodlights even after 54yrs..

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.