First international break what is your assessment of City and our rivals?

Imo we are currently not defending well enough, to win the title, with or without Laporte.

And we are not fit, yet.

Each team we have played, has run through us at times & irrespective of the v.a.r. farce, we showed v Spurs, that if we miss chances, we have it in us to concede goals & lose points, even when dominating a game.

I don't think we'll win the title without improving defensively, unless Liverpool also drop standards, which is quite possible tbf, but we can't rely on it.

Too early to say really, but plus ca change. Us, dippers well ahead of the rest. The red team from Stretford just awful. Where will their goals come from?

Top two is gonna be City and Liverpool. Don’t see any of the others getting close based on what I’ve seen so far. Leicester, Everton and West Ham have a big chance of top six if they can find some consistency

Unfortunately Littlewoods bang at it now after a slow and stuttering start. Still getting some good fortune. And apart from their keeper, their best players are avoiding injury again.

We’re winning, but blowing hot and cold in our performances. Scoring loads, especially Serg, but missing too many chances. Injuries are starting to haunt us and pile up again. First Sane, then Stones, Jesus, and now La Porte. Thankfully we have a good squad and a 2 Week break.

Not arsed about the rest.

Hate the international breaks. We've seen good things in the opening games, especially against Spurs, but we've also seen elements that definitely require attention, which is why the international break is so frustrating, as I'm sure Guardiola would prefer to have them together addressing these things.

The defending at the back is certainly careless at times and is naturally the focus of attention because that's where the chances happen and the goals are conceded, but, in truth, it is simply indicative of inadequate defending across the pitch. Against Brighton, who bravely wanted to retain possession, players were often not in sync with each other when it came to closing down angles and making it impossible for them to play out, or we only had two out of three players defending, or players were passing and then standing still; that is the defending and group work that needs to be continually worked on in the rondo and in training games.

Alas, we only have days together before we play Norwich, where those problems will probably be masked, but then we play Shakhtar Donetsk. Now, some might say relax, don't worry, we turned them over comfortably last season and will do so again. However, we'd already lost to Lyon and escaped from Hoffenheim with our fingers singed before we got our act together and thumped them. I'd happily take us going there and winning 1-0 with a dominant performance and assured defending, but with so little time to work on the training field, a bumpy ride wouldn't be a surprise.

In the four league games, I'd probably pick Walker as our most consistent performer, with an average of say 7.5, so there is plenty of room for individual improvement and individual consistency. Couldn't give a fig about the other teams because if we work on raising those individual levels, no other squad will match ours.

2 horse race again, no one is close to us or the dippers

It's ours to lose, we have the best squad, but much will depend on fortune, in particular injuries, and of course VAR. I'm confident we will prevail

3rd and 4th is more open than it's ever been, of the usual suspects Arsenal have improved, but are still highly suspect at the back, Chelsea will need a couple of seasons and some serious investment after their ban, Spurs are just spursy and our sheepish neighbours, although improved from last season, are still 2 or 3 perfect windows from being confident of a top 4 finish.

Of the pretenders, Everton and West Ham are both in with a shout as I think they have better squad depth than Leicester, Wolves appear distracted already by the thursday night kick about cup so I can't see them troubling the top spot unless they suffer an unlikely early exit

Soooo

City
Dippers
Arsenal
Everton or WHU (whoever hits a consistent run)
Spursy
Chelsea/'Nited/Leicester/Wolves

Best case scenario is 10th place for Ole's travelling band of expensive misfits

We're as good as we were last season but surprisingly (to me anyway) Liverpool will run us close again.

Still in pre season mode at the moment but have still been miles ahead in each game. Top two will be the same as last year but no tempting fate by saying in which order.

As for the rest it's anyone's guess for the top 4, Arsenal good going forward but crap at the back, Spurs going backwards, something wrong there,

Leicester look a good outside bet for the top 4 if they keep their best players and stay injury free

Chelsea hampered by transfer ban but will finish top 6

United battling it out with Everton and Wolves for 7th

Newcastle and Watford going down plus one other from Norwich, Southampton, Crystal Palace, and Burnley

I think if we can get this XI familar with each other quickly in Laporte's absence we'll simply outscore our opponents.
Ederson, Mendy, Otamendi, Stones, Cancelo, Rodri, Bernardo, Sterling, KDB, Jesus, Aguero

Mouth-watering bench to have with all the cups: Walker, Fernandinho, Zin, Gundo, Foden, Mahrez, Silva

I really hope Stone is strong this season, if not I've every confidence Fernandinho can do a Masherano, and that Eric Garcia can step up in Caraboa.

Of our opponents, all have good and bad bits bar Liverpool who have hit the ground running. I hope we're within 6pts by Christmas, if Laporte if out for season, we might be needing an emergency CB in that window.

Massive gap between us, pool and the rest which is pretty clear four matches in.

We need to show the same hunger and appetite as Pool or we could fall short this year. Burnley looked like a potential banana skin but they brushed them aside with ease.

We need to switch on now as it is a huge challenge ahead and fingers crossed we do not suffer any more key injuries.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.