Fish

Back in Britain we have a really strange situation with fish.

We have an abundance of sea life around the island but we overfish certain kinds (haddock, cod, sea bass) to the point where stocks are unsustainable but have many more beautiful tasting kinds of fish that are in abundance but we don’t consume them and sell them abroad instead.

In fact 75% of the fish we catch around the island is exported abroad. And we import fish that doesn’t taste as nice but is more expensive than what we export.

We import over 700,000 tonnes of fish from abroad but have stocks and stocks of fish that come up in catches that we either throw back or export abroad to make sure they’re not over breeding around Britain and spreading disease and causing unhealthy stocks.

We have to export over 90% of our pollock and herring stocks because shops don’t want to sell it because they think people they wouldn’t buy it.

We need to change our ways when it comes to fish... BUY BRITISH!

(And you should buy Aussie in Aus n’all!)

I reckon we may be forced to once we leave the EU’s trade zone. We exported £1.34bn worth of fish to the EU the other year; and imported £2.16bn from the EU.

I’ve got some oak and beechwood smoked Scottish Mackerel for my dinner today. Can’t wait. Can’t beat fish, it’s the most delicious thing known to man!

I watched a series/documentary where they followed Cornish lobsters across to Spain. Off the boat in Cadgewith Cove onto a wagon, all the lobsters were put in aerated tanks. Off to the port, on a ship, 36 hrs later they were on the supermarket shelves in Spain. We used to live in Spain and all the shellfish and scallops etc etc was from Scotland,Ireland or Wales and it was bloody gorgeous. Mackeral were 10 a penny, all the fresh fish was of good quality but in true Spanish style, they dont give a fuck about regs and quotas, the amount of undersized fish for soups was unbelievable, almost shameful.
We need to change our attitude about fish, keep it for ourselves and improve our fisheries and the industry.

51-M8-4tecv-L.jpg

A great read

I've noticed that some of the fish I could buy are from SE Asia. I always had my doubts and thank you for confirming!. I've also spotted some shops trying to flog a New Zealand substitute for North Sea cod. Can't remember what it's called -begins with an 'h'. Doesn't taste of anything like cod. Once we've crowbarred the French 'n Spanish out of our continental shelf we'll be able to eat cod till it's coming out of our ears, or arses!
Dream on.
50% of the UK fishing fleet has EU owners.
They can still fish with impunity after next Dec.
The only stipulation is half the crews need to be British and they are required to land half their catch at UK ports.
Good luck trying to sell langoustine, mullet etc in the UK.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.