Flops in the Premier League this season

Assessment on this season alone:

Key:
Flop
Big Flop

Took the transfer fees from here: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/transfers/wettbewerb/GB1

Arsenal

Xhaka - £38m - Walking red card, who really just doesn't do anything.
Mustafi - £35m - Some may think harsh but the only decent defender Arsenal have is Koscielny, as shown against Bayern when they just melted.
Perez - £17m - Panic buy, who has barely played. When they were desperate for a striker as well.

Bournemouth
Ibe - 15m - Better than Sterling, yeah right.

Burnley
Westwood - £5m - Meh, maybe harsh. Just why?

Chelsea

Batshuayi - £33m - Lingering between flop and big flop. Alright he scored which sealed the title but before then he'd had 17 games which added up to about 100mins.

Crystal Palace
Schlupp - £12m - Paid too much for him. Hardly helped their defence.
Tomkins - £10m - Paid a decent fee for a pretty average/poor player.
Remy - £1m Loan fee - Downgrade to flop if they aren't paying any of his wages.

Everton
-

Hull

Grosicki - £7.5m - Good euros, bang average season.
Keane - £1m - Ex united staff signs poor united youth player shocker.

Leicester

Slimani - £25m - What has he done?
Musa - £15m - Done less than Slimani.
Mendy - £13m - The invisible mans best mate.
Zieler - (£3m) - Looked poor when he played.
Hernandez (Free) - Still have to pay his wages, very poor player.

Liverpool
Karius - £5m - So poor they put Mignolet back in net.
Klaven - £4.5m - Slow, crap.

Man City
Stones - £50m - Lets be honest, he hasn't justified his fee on this season alone, although he was never going to so soon.
Nolito - £15m - Another one spotted next to the invisible man.
Bravo - £15m - Broke even the most optimistic (me being one of them).

Man United
Pogba - £90m - Never justified his fee, similar comments to Stones above but also a shadow of the player he was at Juventus.
Mkhitaryan - £35m - Partly PEG's fault, as attacking player suffer. Where did the Dortmund version go, like he just disappeared.

Middlesborough
Gestede - £6m - You get promoted to the Premier League and you sign a striker that scored 9 goals in 50 apps at his previous club.
Bamford - £6m - Regressing...
Guedioura - £4.5m - Sounds like a Mexican salad dressing.

Stoke
Berahino - £12m - Could come good but looks off the pace, overweight and a shadow of the player he was 2 years ago. However, only signed in Jan, could come good.
Bony - £2m Loan fee - Don't know how we managed to offload him for the season. Overweight and slow.

Southampton
Boufal - £16m - Not justified the fee, Saints players usually come good, don't think this one will.

Sunderland
Ndong - £17m - Should have saved the money to pay Moyesy off.
Djilobodji - £8m - Idiots handing Chelsea money on a plate.
Mcnair - £4.5m - Ex united staff sign ex united youth shocker.
Gibson - £2m - Manager signs over the hill ex player shocker.
Lescott - Free - Sorry big man. Probably couldn't believe it himself tbf. Best days well behind him now. Collecting a wage for training, i'm sure he won't complain.

Swansea
Baston - £15m - Should sack whoever scouted him and whoever offered that amount of money for him.
Ayew - £5m - 'Attacking player' hasn't even scored.
Narsingh - £4m - Forgot he was even there. (Might be injured in which case my bad).

Tottenham
Sissoko - £30m - Bet Newcastle's CFO and Owner couldn't believe their luck. Every man and his dog knew this was a shocker from day 1.
Janssen - £19m - Quite an achievement they managed to sign a striker worse than Soldado was.

Watford
Success - £13m - Bench warmer. Still young so could come good.
Kums - £7.5m - Just being picky now.
Kabasele - £6m - Can't even stat in Watford's defence.

West Brom

-

West Ham
Ayew - £20m - I know he was injured but he's on the list just for that miss this weekend.
Zaza - £5m Loan fee - Takes a shit penalty.
Tore - £2.5m Loan fee - Crap.
Feghouli - Free - Still pay his wages, had a poor season.
Arbeloa - Free - Still pay his wages. Bursitis of the arse (bench warmer).

Last edited:
Man United
Mkhitaryan - £35m - Partly PEG's fault, as attacking player suffer. Where did the Dortmund version go, like he just disappeared.
There's something missing here. I just can't think what it is...

There's something missing here. I just can't think what it is...

Pogba was never going to justify his fee but neither was Stones, unsure as to whether they're 'flops', they probably are based on this season. I originally had Kapustka, De Roon, Pogba, Stones and N'Koudou in as 'Harsh Flops' but decided to just leave them off. Given the fees for Stones and Pogba I should probably put them back on the list.

Last edited:
Steve Mandanda(France no2, Lique1 keeper of the year 4 times) - I mean he was free but he was awful at the beginning of the season and hasn't been seen since

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.