Food waste recyle caddies

FuZzY

Anyone else been issued with one of these from your Council?

We have just had them delivered in the Tameside area yesterday, they call them "The Deluxe Kitchen Caddy"!!!

FFS! What's so "deluxe" about them? Mine's gone outside, it doesn't even match my colour scheme in my kitchen. Not only that I aint' having no stinking food rotting away in my kitchen fook that! Oh, and I'm not putting nothing in it that will make me honk when I open it to put something in it.

Nah, I'm just going to put veg peelings, egg shells, tea bags etc (when I remember to) anything that won't knock me sick that might be covered in maggots a week later just to pacify them, not left over food, yuk, no way!

I can just picture now the Council Bin Police with their clipboard running after the Black General waste bin to check you haven't been throwing away a used tea bag. Sad bastards.

And not only that you have to pay £5.99 for your own compostable caddy liners and £3.98 for carbon filters!! Cheeky gits!

You should consider yourself lucky mate, we get a role of little green plastic bags thrown in the garden every so often to use, I use them for picking dog crap up

Like you I hate flies, maggots and the sheer thought and smell of rotting food makes me heave, but I have a gripe in general with how our refuse/recycling is done anyway, we have huge green and brown ones which get filled once every three to four months at most, yet are collected every two weeks I think, then we have a black one for general waste, which is almost half the size, gets filled in a week, and is only collected every fortnight.

I always end up taking the rubbish to the tip myself for the first week, but here's where it's really funny, I can opt out of having my bins done and recycle myself, but I still have to pay that portion of my council tax, so basically forced to pay for a service I don't receive.

we got the basic small ones about 3 years ago , still feel like a dinner lady at school when i;m scraping the plates into them , fkn hangin.

dirty harry - how on earth anyone doesnt fill a brown bin up for 3-4 months ???

i can only think you don;t drink alcohol , or milk & you don't have kids ? ours is full within a week and they don't take the bastard til the end of each month!

paint it blue said:
we got the basic small ones about 3 years ago , still feel like a dinner lady at school when i;m scraping the plates into them , fkn hangin.

dirty harry - how on earth anyone doesnt fill a brown bin up for 3-4 months ???

i can only think you don;t drink alcohol , or milk & you don't have kids ? ours is full within a week and they don't take the bastard til the end of each month!
You're (pretty much) right with those assumptions PIB although the milk's in cartons and the kids have grown up and left and honestly mate, I'm not as odd as this may sound :-) but I can almost account for every can or bottle that goes in per week (all empty ofcourse), 30 cans of Coke Zero (flattened) 4 tins of condensed milk, 2 tins of tomatoes, 1 tin of beans, 1 bottle of red wine, 1 jar of chilli sauce, 1 jar of pasta sauce, then odd bottle of sweet chilli sauce and olives.

I'm under Stockport so I can only assume maybe our brown bins are much bigger than yours ?

Got ours about a year ago. Came with a roll of 'special' decomposing bags to line it with, that you could 'only buy' from the council, but can get in Tesco...

We use it regularly.....emptied every other day or so (into the brown garden waste bin) And not a problem in the slightest to us....a good idea really.

It's mostly veg peelings etc. As between two Springers and the local foxes and badger, not a lot of 'food' waste makes it to the caddy....

Some of you sound like you've never been outside.

As long as the container is sealed and contains only 'clean' kitchen waste (fruit, veg, peelings, paper) and no meat, cooked food or bread it will be absolutely fine and won't smell.

Still not having it? Get a compost bin for the garden and chuck everything in there. Give it 6 months and no more lumping sacks of nasty peat-filled compost back from B&Q.

At ours we've got a kitchen caddy and compost bin as well as a small wormery. The only thing we really do waste is meat, so we try to avoid eating too much of it.

With two Beagles (and a cat) Johnny it's totally out of the question for us, the more pungent the smell the better, they'd think we'd laid on a barbecue if we had a compost bin.

Here it's great to have one, our bin men (or trash men!) aren't paid for in our rates. We have to buy ''town trash bags'' and the bin men only take them. If you leave it in a black bin bag it doesn't get taken. So the more ways of putting stuff in the recycle bins, the less town trash bags we have to buy (a pack of 10 bags is around £11.50 (large) £6 (small)

I've pretty much got it down to one large bag a week (four of us), so all the food waste happily goes in the compost bin.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.