Footage of Billy Meredith

He was more of a Blue than a red! City fans encouraged him to sign for Utd when he was banned by the FA from playing for City (we wanted him to stay in Manchester and Utd were our poor relations then). When WW1 broke out he returned to City to act as a coach and a player then when war finished he had to return to Utd because they held his FL contract. But, as soon as he could, he left Utd to rejoin City, playing until he was 49. He played in or went to every City Cup final until his death in 1958 - that's 6 finals - and when I interviewed his daughter (who was 99 then) and his grandson they both said he was more City than United. Definitely a true Blue City hero who Utd have done a great job of claiming over the last couple of decades (His biography was written by a Utd fan and while it contains lots of great material it does paint a somewhat inaccurate view of his post City career, claiming he remained in dispute with City throughout his life. That's not true - he was in dispute with Utd though, claiming they never paid him what they owed him for his 1912 benefit match).

It's time we embraced and celebrated his life. If a biography hadn't already been published on him I would definitely have written one on him. Without Meredith MCFC (or Utd for that matter) may never have achieved any success. We should celebrate and reclaim him.

Looking at our kit in that Newcastle semi-final you'd be surprised we didn't get that nickname. Our skipper has ripped shorts at the coin toss and they could have told those wearing the shorts Billy Bunter style to follow Meredith's lead!
That was our 'Lucky Scarlet' kit. City insisted on wearing it for key cup matches that season as they thought it brought them luck. Obviously, it didn't in the semi-final!

It's time we embraced and celebrated his life. If a biography hadn't already been published on him I would definitely have written one on him. Without Meredith MCFC (or Utd for that matter) may never have achieved any success. We should celebrate and reclaim him.

I already do celebrate him

and iv got my toothpick to prove it ! ;-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.