Football fan delusion

JASR

Perusing fan forums of the Trafford neighbours and the ‘stealers of junction 1-3 of M62’ it seems obvious of the amount of bile aimed our way (see my thread on ‘Lies’). And further amplified by the rant of Alan in the case of Arsenal.
But what is really noticeable is the lack of any acknowledgement of their own ‘poor’ histories.

I’ve not read anything on Liverpool forums about their actual formation and roots - eg the 1st mercenary club. Nor the breaking of the transfer record whilst in Div2, nor the sugar daddy support of Littlewoods. Nor that they were desperate for an arab takeover to rid themselves of Gillette (sp) and hicks, and the domination of the 70s and 80s which seemingly never ‘ruined’ football.
It’s just the regurgitation of blinkered history of supposed unending success repeated ad nauseum.

similarly the (albeit slightly less echo chambers) Trafford lot seem to know they’ve had 3 decent managers in they’re time, and that 2 of them went on for ages.
They don’t acknowledge/know the appalling treatment of the Munich families, their own sugar daddies, the multiple bailing out of their club by City, the spending in a year on new players equivalent to the Knighton agreed buying price the year before (ie spending almost 100% what the entire club was actually worth), the domination of the 90s and 00s, which also seemingly never ‘ruined’ football.

Now, I have felt that there is a subtle change occurring in United fan land, by some of the quicker witted - that their current issues are rooted in the mess Ferguson created (RockGibraltar leading to glazers), and Ferguson left (crap old squad, cult of control and aquisance), that their current level isnt going to be improved upon by flinging money at it, as the issue lies deeper and more nuanced than just playing football.

Arsenal I haven’t really looked at, but if Alan Davies rant is anything to go by, it’s clear that delusion and hypocrisy regarding their own history is entrenched.

compare to the numerous threads on here, we celebrate (or at the least, commiserate) in the lows of our semi-recent history, the gaffs of Swales (dodgy gate numbers being my current favourite), the shocking results against York, Halifax, Shrewsbury etc. The insane money thrown around trying to buy success - Gerry Creaney et al.

And then we celebrate our past and our current success. It is not because we ‘deserve it’, we have a ‘right’ to it, or that we ‘expect it’, it just is what it is, and at the moment it’s great, like it was in the late 60’s, the 30’s and before… but it will not necessarily last, and that’s I think the main difference between the majority on this forum and other fans forums. acknowledging there is no divine right to anything in football, and pretending or believing otherwise is complete bollox.

Think the difference between our longstanding fan base and those of the red shirted history clubs is they believe they deserve, have a right to and expect it, whilst we enjoy it while its here having put in hard yards that would have led to many of them abondoning their teams. They dont like their owners, imagine if they had 20 years of Swales followed by initial hype and tenure of Lee.

Last edited:
Perusing fan forums of the Trafford neighbours and the ‘stealers of junction 1-3 of M62’ it seems obvious of the amount of bile aimed our way (see my thread on ‘Lies’). And further amplified by the rant of Alan in the case of Arsenal.
But what is really noticeable is the lack of any acknowledgement of their own ‘poor’ histories.

I’ve not read anything on Liverpool forums about their actual formation and roots - eg the 1st mercenary club. Nor the breaking of the transfer record whilst in Div2, nor the sugar daddy support of Littlewoods. Nor that they were desperate for an arab takeover to rid themselves of Gillette (sp) and hicks, and the domination of the 70s and 80s which seemingly never ‘ruined’ football.
It’s just the regurgitation of blinkered history of supposed unending success repeated ad nauseum.

similarly the (albeit slightly less echo chambers) Trafford lot seem to know they’ve had 3 decent managers in they’re time, and that 2 of them went on for ages.
They don’t acknowledge/know the appalling treatment of the Munich families, their own sugar daddies, the multiple bailing out of their club by City, the spending in a year on new players equivalent to the Knighton agreed buying price the year before (ie spending almost 100% what the entire club was actually worth), the domination of the 90s and 00s, which also seemingly never ‘ruined’ football.

Now, I have felt that there is a subtle change occurring in United fan land, by some of the quicker witted - that their current issues are rooted in the mess Ferguson created (RockGibraltar leading to glazers), and Ferguson left (crap old squad, cult of control and aquisance), that their current level isnt going to be improved upon by flinging money at it, as the issue lies deeper and more nuanced than just playing football.

Arsenal I haven’t really looked at, but if Alan Davies rant is anything to go by, it’s clear that delusion and hypocrisy regarding their own history is entrenched.

compare to the numerous threads on here, we celebrate (or at the least, commiserate) in the lows of our semi-recent history, the gaffs of Swales (dodgy gate numbers being my current favourite), the shocking results against York, Halifax, Shrewsbury etc. The insane money thrown around trying to buy success - Gerry Creaney et al.

And then we celebrate our past and our current success. It is not because we ‘deserve it’, we have a ‘right’ to it, or that we ‘expect it’, it just is what it is, and at the moment it’s great, like it was in the late 60’s, the 30’s and before… but it will not necessarily last, and that’s I think the main difference between the majority on this forum and other fans forums. acknowledging there is no divine right to anything in football, and pretending or believing otherwise is complete bollox.
Fabulous thanks for a great read

Where would Liverpool be now without the Littlewoods money pumped into them in the 60’s I wonder?

A nonentity of a club that had been stuck in Div2 for years before Shankly came to the club and almost left before he started when he saw what a crumbling mess the club was in.

They could quite have easily been a club similar to Sheffield Wednesday without the money injection they got back then.

The main problem for the History Boys is a lot of their support on fan sites are the younger more IT literate crowd who attached themselves to their club because of the success they were having at the time.
For me I am a blue coz my granddad and my dad were - yes my first indoctrination was during an early golden period in the late 60's but by god I put the hard yards in during the late 70's 80's and early 90's travelling away to loads of Yorkshire and midlands clubs on shitty coaches having a fucking ball.
All the success we have now is earned and will be enjoyed but as a blue I know there are no guarantee's and we are a couple of managers away from being the rags or Arsenal - if it is then so be it and we will have a fallow period striving to get to the top again.
Thats sport - thats how it goes - thats why the idea of that Mickey Mouse European League was abhorrent - it removed jeopardy and trapped fans in a vortex of relegation free anodyne football. To experience and enjoy success can only be done with the constant threat of failure. Nothing can be taken for granted which is what the History Boys cannot grasp.

Last edited:
For some strange reason the red scouse don't like being reminded of their history, which is strange considering they always want to talk about ONE aspect of their past.
It's almost as if they don't want people to know they were formed by a tory landlord who attempted to rip off the sitting tennent Everton FC, but when Everton refused, and build a ground the other side of Stanley Knife Park, Liverpool FC was born, only to be renamed Littlewoods FC when the Moore's Family Fortune crossed the park (That the Moore's were Mancs seems to annoy them as well).
The Trafford Red Socks seem oblivious about Harry selling his dog, the plaque on the bridge on Matt Busby Way, or that Busby won the cup with City before captaining the red scouse.
Always interesting to listen to a gooner talk about their wonderful promotion season

I agree with a lot of the sentiment in the original post. The one thing I despise above all else in football fans is a sense of entitlement, that idea that your club 'deserves' trophies (I seen a clueless United fan actually say that once on a forum, that the club deserves success). Nobody deserves success, it should be earned.

They're so thick that they mock some clubs for 'winning the lottery' on one hand and apparently not earning anything, then on the other hand act like their own success should be given to them and not earned. They demand it because of their so-called history. The irony of United especially is that their 'history' was hardly anything special until they got into bed with Sky and Ferguson started being a bully circa 1992. It was better than some clubs but it was hardly outstanding.

I don't have anywhere near as much of a problem with Liverpool as I do United, and rate far more of their players, but it is disappointing to see that their fans show this same sense of entitlement that United's do, and it is pretty cringeworthy. A lot of the fans of these clubs don't really know how their own history has unfurled. They seem to think they were successful right off the bat of being formed, and always have been. Or that football started in the 1970s or 1990s. Under Herbert Chapman in the 30s Arsenal were one of the first moneybags clubs, but to hear them talk you'd think they'd always been a club who did things 'the right way' and spent within their means.

It is laughable and just sheer envy and spite. Like these clubs don't want anyone else to do well. Plus, they go on about 'buying success' - how else does a club break into their little closed shop without cash injections? I know this has all been discussed extensively on here but the hypocrisy is annoying. United fans going on about 'lack of competition' and 'being bored of football'. I don't remember them saying that when they won 13 titles between 1993 and 2013. It's just sheer glory hunting. These people have a very selfish me me me personality type, and are envious of others who do well.

The club I support has similarly entitled fans who look down on 'small' clubs and it pisses me off. In a sense I don't like being a tenuous fan of it cos the club is essentially one of the entitled bullies in my country and that's not the type of person I am or aspire to be.

Fuck me,there is a Labour MP calling for The FA to apologize for their treatment of Don Revie in the 1970s .
And the poor delusional twat states that " Don Revie was the greatest manager that this country has ever seen"!!
I mean there is delusional,and then there is "fucking catatonic,brain dead delusional "!!!
This wanker needs to watch "The Damned United" a few times to see what the rest of the country actually thought about Revie and Leeds United !!!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.