Football Grounds?

BlueTG

Having a discussion with some of my mates who are Scunny fans, and they seem to like the new modern stadiums and straight away write off older football grounds as dumps and sheds but i prefer these grounds for their character and difference to others. Was just wondering if was you preferred to visit older, more sentimental grounds to clubs or the newer modern, typical arena type stadiums eh?

Their stadium in new but is less modern than most, so I am not sure what they would class it as.

ive done every ground in the prem over the course of the seasons but the best away days are a cold tuesday night at a proper football ground, the best one i have enjoyed this season was scunny away

Emirates is a cracking stadium
Turf Moor is an embrassment to the western world.
Scunny's ground was alright, I liked it.
York City's place is decent too.

The old 'style' is alright as long as it's maintained properly. Evertons ground is one that hasn't, and hasn't got character, just damp rot!!!

If this was a German or American forum you'd be getting answers saying that modern shiney stadiums are the best things going as in them countries their stadiums are absolutely awsome, no expense spared, HUGE, top shit stadiums!!

Over here we've got the Riverside, St Mary's, Pride Park, KC, Brittania, Reebok, Walkers, Madjeski, etc dull, small, lifeless, boring, shit grounds (cost cutting in every area)! Even our ground looks really dull and boring from the outside and the big spikes look really dated like some eighties designed shit!

Emirates is okay but it's still a bit too pretty! it's not as immense, imposing, manly and atmospheric as like Dortmunds stadium!

Hillsborough, Maine Road, Elland Road, Goodison, Villa Park etc are all miles better than English new stadiums but none are anywhere near as good as the German or American stadiums!

You can't beat the likes of Turf Moor with it's leaking roof and Goodison with that weird triangular box size set of toilets in the corner. And in earlier days when the queues from their stand led straight back to the doorsteps of the terraced houses.

I like the new grounds for the improved facilities, e.g. toilets where you don't have to wade through p**s and can wash your hands, but for atmosphere and character give me the old grounds any day.

Went to the Emirates for the first time on Saturday, very very impressive. I do like the newer style, but I like the character of some older ones eg Maine Road (RIP)

danburge82 said:
If this was a German or American forum you'd be getting answers saying that modern shiney stadiums are the best things going as in them countries their stadiums are absolutely awsome, no expense spared, HUGE, top shit stadiums!!

Over here we've got the Riverside, St Mary's, Pride Park, KC, Brittania, Reebok, Walkers, Madjeski, etc dull, small, lifeless, boring, shit grounds (cost cutting in every area)! Even our ground looks really dull and boring from the outside and the big spikes look really dated like some eighties designed shit!

Emirates is okay but it's still a bit too pretty! it's not as immense, imposing, manly and atmospheric as like Dortmunds stadium!

Hillsborough, Maine Road, Elland Road, Goodison, Villa Park etc are all miles better than English new stadiums but none are anywhere near as good as the German or American stadiums!
Im presuming youve been to stadiums in these countries? i havnt, ive never been to Germany, and only to America when i was little, but from television games like superbowl and champions league, they seem brilliant atmospheres.

danburge82 said:
That might be true for NFL stadia, well for Dallas anyway, but in reality it is the exact opposite for baseball grounds.

Ours in Toronto is all concrete and shiny glass with a retractable roof, it was built late 80s/early 90s and it's one of the last of it's kind that was built, and is very very dated. Cities started building parks with all of the modern amenities, state of the art, but which had the look and feel of stadia from the 20s and 30s. The first of these was in Baltimore, built in 1992. Attendances have soared everywhere that these have been built, the match going experience is much much more enjoyable.

Read this from Wikipedia:
<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball_park#Retro-classic_ballparks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball_p ... _ballparks</a>

Some "modern" stadia have been torn down and replaced with retro grounds.

"Teams with multi-purpose and indoor parks longed for this beautiful and classic look, and began systematically demolishing them and moving to either retro-classic, retractable roof, or retro-modern parks. Since Camden Yards opened, 2/3rds of all major league teams have opened new ballparks"

I'm surprised that this hasn't been the trend in the UK as well. "Modern" is likely to be used as an insult as far as North American stadium design goes.

feedthegoat2009 said:
ive done every ground in the prem over the course of the seasons but the best away days are a cold tuesday night at a proper football ground, the best one i have enjoyed this season was scunny away

My favourite game of the season too. I have developed a fondness for Scunthorpe just because I enjoyed the day out so much. I always look out for their results now and was happy to see them get the point they needed to stay up last week.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.