Football league

Bill

older members may remember that at one time we had football league v football league representative matches. for instance a team from our league would be made up of players not chosen by the full England squad but were good players that were unlucky to miss out.it was deemed as a feather in your cap. I think Alan Oakes played in a few, rightly so as it was criminal he didn't feature for England. Scotland was always a regular opponent (can you imagine that now lol). anyway the reason for me bringing this up is following the season most of our top players have had would it not have been better to use a similar system for these dreaded "Nations games" its just bollocks. players are back in a few weeks to go again. pick from Newcastle, Everton and co, or even included the Championship to a degree. would give top players, who have played games right up to Saturday a summer of rest. players selected would be chuffed and you never know we might just un earth a hidden gem.

I remember going to an English League v Scottish League game at Maine Road in the 70s. I think Alf Ramsey chose the EL team so used it as an extra England friendly and didn't pick any Scottish, Welsh or Irish players who were plying their trade in the old First Division.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.