Footballers aren't born in the summer!

bluenova

Fascinating article explaining the bizarre truth that kids who are born in the summer don't have as much of a chance to make it as footballers.

I've read something about this before with other sports, but it's amazing that it's not been taken into account till recently.

Put simply, when kids play "age group" soccer at school etc, the ones born in the summer tend to be smaller than those born at the start of the school year. When they're young, six months age difference is so significant that they don't get in the team, or struggle when they do.

The result in Premier League academies - There are FOUR times as many kids who were born Sept-Dec, as there are born May to August!

Makes you wonder how many potential superstars are missing out.

ps, Looked at the current squad and we have a reasonable amount of May-Aug players (about 25%) - but apart from Johnson, they are some of the biggest/most powerful members of the squad (Micah, Lescott, Yaya, Mario). Does this suggest that you have to be exceptional physically to beat the age bias?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jun/19/fa-plans-age-group-football?intcmp=239

As Stuart Pearce's England Under-21 team hope for victory over the Czech Republic on Sunday in Viborg to reach the knockout stages of Euro 2011, the Football Association is preparing a step change in how young players begin their career after studies revealed that children born in summer are far less likely to be selected for clubs' academies. According to the FA, for the 2008-09 season 57% of players at Premier League academies were born between September and December, while 14% had their birthday between May and August.

The Premier League recognise the significance of these statistics and Ged Roddy, the director of youth, wants to educate more coaches and clubs about what is termed the "relative age affect".

Tottenham Hotspur now tailor the scouting and development of their future stars to ensure a player's talent – rather than his birthday or size – is his most important characteristic. Uefa have also conducted research into the issue this year. Barcelona, considered the world's best club side, have a policy of investing in technically astute players and at Ajax Johan Cruyff plans to transform how the club coaches young players.

Whereas in Uefa competitions and the rest of European club football age selection runs from January to December, in England the period is September to August. Andy Roxburgh, Uefa's technical director, told the Observer: "Take the [current] European Under-17 competition. We tested this – approximately 75% of the players were in the January to April category. To put it another way, if you're born on the 26 or 27 December you've got a problem getting selected for national youth teams.

"At the club level [you must] have open-mindedness. You used to get all this stuff from the scouts, don't bring me back a centre-half unless he's 6ft 1in. That means [Carlos] Puyol [the captain] wouldn't get a game for Barcelona. Pep Guardiola told me the Barcelona philosophy, what their criteria was when dealing with their academy boys. What they try to develop first of all is a work-family ethic. The second thing [is] fast technique. You have to be very quick and technically gifted. The best example is [Lionel] Messi. When he went to Barcelona he had to have injections because he had a growth problem.

"The point is having the technical eye to bypass things like age and size to say: 'We're dealing with talent. We've got a gift and this gift will become something if we nurture it.' Barcelona remained patient with Messi as they did with Andrés Iniesta, Xavi Hernández. You wonder what would have happened to these boys if they'd been playing in certain leagues in Europe."

Nick Levett, the FA's national development manager, said: "For the 2009 season 57% of kids at Premier League academies were born September to December; and 14% were born in May-August. Where are the May to August kids? The simple fact is that adults have voted them out of the game because of our desire to pick bigger, stronger, faster players. We're looking at changing grass-roots [local clubs] football to run January to December. We know from research that we'll [still] get a bias in January to April kids [being chosen by scouts] but it does mean then that the 'summer borns' are the middle group for club football and the end group for school football. So they're not age disadvantaged for everything.

"We also need to look at the pitch sizes. We need smaller age appropriate pitches [that] will less benefit the physical player and more benefit for the technical player."

The FA hope to implement the changes for the 2013-14 season. "The best talent spotter is able to spot the player with most potential for the future and not necessarily the player having the biggest impact in the team at the moment," John McDermott, the head of the Tottenham academy, says. "At Tottenham we've introduced strategies to try and combat the bias [which include] putting the seven-, eight-, nine- and 10-year-olds together, therefore a player moves up to the older group on his birthday. In that way he experiences being the youngest and eldest as the year progresses.

"Tom Carroll, an outstanding prospect, trains regularly with our first team and is on loan at Leyton Orient [but] he couldn't cope physically in matches with his own age group as he was a late developer and [had a] summer birthday. But he had outstanding perception, technique and aerobic capacity.

"Of the [many] boys out on loan recently, Ryan Mason [Doncaster Rovers], Harry Kane and Carroll [Orient], Nathan Byrne [Brentford], Danny Rose [Bristol City], Jake Nicholson [MyPa], Kyle Walker [Aston Villa], and Andros Townsend [Millwall] are all summer babies."

At Ajax, Cruyff, who should be confirmed as a director in August, plans a new philosophy at the club. "You can say: 'OK it's a problem of the age. Or its a problem of the way the kids are trained,'" says Ruben Jongkind, who coaches at the club's academy. "If you take this perspective you have to change the structure of the academy. How do you do this? From a philosophical point of view it's [about] focusing more on the individual then the team and looking at biological age. When Johan Cruyff comes this change will be made."

The ones born in september have an advantage, and most of september is in summer.

Corky said:
The ones born in september have an advantage, and most of september is in summer.

Ok. Mr Pedantic. You know what I mean - it's the kids who are the youngest in the school year v. the kids who are oldest.

ps. and if we are being strict - summer in Manchester is usually the third weekend in July.

That makes sense. I also read somewhere that something like 90% of top ice hockey players are born in January-February (oldest in their year in USA) and have been the most physically developed so coached at a higher level from an early age.

That explains it then, I was born in June and still not ad a run out at CoMS yet. I was starting to think I might not be good enough ;)

The same principle applies to most walks of life.

With horse breeding, for example, breeders will always try to get their horses born in early January.

That way, your horse might be two years, 11 months and 28 days old, competing in a race for two year olds against horses much younger in terms of months.

Both my lads were born late in the year as we planned for it that way to try and give them any advantage we could.

I will try and find the article i read about a year or so ago that stated that in all walks of life; business, sport, science.. the most successful people are born from September-Christmas. Everyone born later than that, and especially those born in June and July, are a long way behind from the outset as they are younger and less developed than people who are in the same school year as them but are 10months older.

If you are interested in this kind of stuff read this - <a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Outliers-Story-Success-Malcolm-Gladwell/dp/1846141214" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.amazon.co.uk/Outliers-Story- ... 1846141214</a>

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.