Footballs' Hardmen

Just read about him, anyone who shits in Lawrensons wash bag is ok with me.
Read a book about him called The Greatest Footballer No One Saw. A real maverick of a player who only played lower leagues. The cover of Super Furry Animals single The Man Don't Give A Fuck shows him sticking his fingers up to the Luton goalkeeper

Duncan Ferguson at least managed to be a decent player as well as being batshit insane. Same with Tommy Gravesen, I loved him when he played for us. Absolute headcase that he was.

Should Petr Cech get a mention? He continued to play with a head injury that could have killed him.
So did van rapist (allegedly).

;-)

Very surprised that Buzzer so far hasn`t got a mention.Never flinched out of a tackle and ask any of the older left backs who they hated playing against and Buzzers name was regularly on that list.Always up for good scrap against Eddie ?? the Scottish Chelsea full back who was also a hard lad.
I mentioned him, along with Mike Doyle and Frannie, on page two.

Johnny Giles and Ronny Whelan both we’re very talented players who could really look after themselves.
Giles was a nasty bastard, who used to rake his studs down the back of opponents' ankles.

Just one of many cowards in Revie's dirty Leeds team.

Gerry Gow.
What a player! He had already battled his way up to the old First Division with Bristol City late 70s( check out you tube Bristol City v Liverpool...what a match!) When John Bond announced the 3 new signings for City Hutch Gow and Mcdonald,i knew ,straightaway Cty were going to be a hard team.All 3 of em hardeden battling professional football players,and look at what Gow did to our midfield.i was only a kid really following the Blues through newspaper reports basically....i kid you not ,you could feel the biting tackles from Gow,as City toughened up.i loved those days.from beimg a comical club going nowhere,we stormed to the semi finals of the league cup(thanks alf grey-modetn day michael oliver) the fa cup final....and along the way ,there was our very own hardman Gerry Gow,grabbing our midfield by the scuff of the neck and making City bold tough..and winning games.
Perhaps Gows finest hour..is the legendary 81 fa cup quarter final at Goodison 54,0000...Scored in a 2-2 draw...Tony Coleman on bbc commentary said " its bedlam on the pitch.and its bedlam all around the ground"
Any older Blues will tell you what a violent day that was......Just the scenario for a real hardman to dig in...and Gerry Gow did...we beat them 3-1 in the replay at Maine rd in front of 52,000 fans...

I miss Gerry Gow.
I've got goosebumps reading this post. My most favourite ever night match v Everton in FA Cup quarter final. Smell of cigars, packed Kippax, famous win, absolutely fantastic.
Plus Gerry Gow;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.