For once, my sympathies are with the cyclist

jimharri

That is fucking crazy, even allowing for the misleading headline (she got £14k in damages and legal costs). The pedestrian stepped out in front of him without looking as she was using her mobile phone. The traffic lights were green, and he sounded a horn as a warning, and he swerved to try to avoid her. She sued him, and won! The judge ruled that "cyclists must be prepared at all times for people to behave in unexpected ways".She also said: "Mr Hazeldean did fall below the level to be expected of a reasonably competent cyclist in that he did proceed when the road was not completely clear." Staggering. Anyone else off out this evening to find a cyclist to step out in front of?

Normally I would say that there must be something he did that we don't know about and that is why he is getting hammered but 3 witnesses (other pedestrians) gave evidence to say he was not at fault. No one bar this woman spoke for her, she apparently has no memory of the incident because she was knocked out. Crazy decision.

That is fucking crazy, even allowing for the misleading headline (she got £14k in damages and legal costs). The pedestrian stepped out in front of him without looking as she was using her mobile phone. The traffic lights were green, and he sounded a horn as a warning, and he swerved to try to avoid her. She sued him, and won! The judge ruled that "cyclists must be prepared at all times for people to behave in unexpected ways".She also said: "Mr Hazeldean did fall below the level to be expected of a reasonably competent cyclist in that he did proceed when the road was not completely clear." Staggering. Anyone else off out this evening to find a cyclist to step out in front of?

not sure we are getting the full story here,he did proceed when the road wasn't completely clear ???

not sure we are getting the full story here,he did proceed when the road wasn't completely clear ???

That was my initial thought but as I said, 3 witnesses all said he was not to blame. The County Court is a very weird place, my driving instructor told me never flash your lights to allow someone out at a junction because if you do and they crash, you could be held partly to blame !! So I don't. But back to the topic, this looks a terrible decision.

That was my initial thought but as I said, 3 witnesses all said he was not to blame. The County Court is a very weird place, my driving instructor told me never flash your lights to allow someone out at a junction because if you do and they crash, you could be held partly to blame !! So I don't. But back to the topic, this looks a terrible decision.
that rings a bell I was in quite heavy traffic and someone was trying to get out of a road on my left to turn right, i left them a space and waved them on as they went in front of me a motorbike came past me and crashed into the car I had let out, i didn't get into trouble though

that rings a bell I was in quite heavy traffic and someone was trying to get out of a road on my left to turn right, i left them a space and waved them on as they went in front of me a motorbike came past me and crashed into the car I had let out, i didn't get into trouble though
Now I know who you are I'll send the bill for my bike repairs

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.