For once, my sympathies are with the cyclist

Don't they teach you in road exams that it's your responsibility to be prepared for this kind of thing? I swear I had to do a hazard exam on my theory test for this.
So you slow down every time you see a pedestrian on the side of the pavement. Fuck sake - it's you that's been adding 20 minutes there and back to my commute every day :-) How long have you been driving - and more importantly what's your route? We need to know.

It's something that really does need looking into and compulsory insurance for all is a step in the right direction. It's all well and good having a nice shiny elmet and lycra leggings but if you really want to be trendy then get some fooking insurance and play the game properly. I feel a little disheartened for the cyclist in this instance but insurance would have been their to pick up the pieces. As for the pedestrians they are not road users persay but more an occupational hazard like cats badgers and toads. That is all:
Well said. And I'm quite sure insurance wouldn't be that expensive. The cost towards accidents may be an issue, but the write off value for a standard bicycle shouldn't throw the insurance policy through the roof. The problem we have is that cyclists never really are taken to task for negligence, simply because they have no insurance - and therefore no real culpability has arisen when a claim arises.

Probably more have it than you think. I’m a member of British Cycling and for £36 a year it includes liability insurance and legal cover.
That's great - and good on you for doing so. Now let's back it up with stats and I'll be right behind you. I don't think it's 'probably more than I think', therefore come back to me with how many cyclists on the road today have insurance. I'm not a cyclist and have no idea, therefore I'll wait for your reply. You may prove me wrong - but I am somewhat doubtful. I'll wait for your stats.

That's great - and good on you for doing so. Now let's back it up with stats and I'll be right behind you. I don't think it's 'probably more than I think', therefore come back to me with how many cyclists on the road today have insurance. I'm not a cyclist and have no idea, therefore I'll wait for your reply. You may prove me wrong - but I am somewhat doubtful. I'll wait for your stats.

Well I wasn’t responding to you but as you have asked so nicely I’ll reply.

I say more than you think because lots think no cyclists are insured. British Cycling has 135,000 members, the CTC has 35,000 members all with £15m liability insurance.

There are other clubs and products out there. How many car drivers drive uninsured?

Well I wasn’t responding to you but as you have asked so nicely I’ll reply.

I say more than you think because lots think no cyclists are insured. British Cycling has 135,000 members, the CTC has 35,000 members all with £15m liability insurance.

There are other clubs and products out there. How many car drivers drive uninsured?

So at a quick google guesstimate only 5% of cyclist have insurance(based on 2.6m cyclist that commute at least 3 times a week) and only about 9% of car users are uninsured (based on 38m cars in the UK)

Last edited:
So at a quick google guesstimate only 5% of cyclist have insurance(based on 2.6m cyclist that commute at least 3 times a week) and only about 9% of car users are uninsured (based on 38m cars in the UK)

There’s no legal requirement for cyclists to be insured.

It’s illegal to drive a motor vehicle uninsured. Almost one in ten is frightening considering the damage a car can do.

A few points arise from this case:-

1. The reports that the cyclist will have to pay £100k costs is utter tosh. Given the compensation was around £4k, either fixed recoverable costs will apply or if the pedestrian's lawyers have incurred that level of costs it will be assessed massively downwards so that it is more in proportion with the damages.
2. As someone else had alluded to, I think the accident happened at a junction where pedestrians and road traffic were interacting and where road traffic (cars or cycles) should expect pedestrians to be crossing even perhaps when the lights are not in their favour. The fact that the cyclist proceeded through the junction with pedestrians still crossing would be why he was found to be primarily liable.
3. The pedestrian brought the case because she had been injured. The cyclist was judged to be primarily liable on the facts, but the pedestrian was found to be 40% or 50% (can't remember which) contributory negligent i.e. equally (or almost equally) culpable, so would have her damages reduced accordingly.
4. If the cyclist had been injured he should have brought his own action or defended and counterclaimed the cyclist's claim. That might have had the effect of both parties dropping hands and walking away, or at least reducing his liability.
5. Insurance plays a huge part in this. Very few cyclists and even fewer pedestrians, if any, carry third party liability insurance - at least that they know about. Sometimes home insurance will cover such liability. Years ago I acted for someone knocked over on a pavement by a child cyclist and the child was covered under his parent's home insurance, so my client was compensated. If there is no insurance then even if you win your case you face the task of trying to recover your compensation from an individual and equally the solicitor has to try to recover the costs likewise. For that reason most solicitors will not act if there is no insurance, especially on a no win no fee basis. I don't know what the circumstances are in this case, but maybe the pedestrian had legal expenses insurance or union backing.
6. Third party liability insurance for cyclists is a good idea for those who commute regularly by bike or for committed leisure cyclists and as people have pointed out it is often available as an add on for cycling membership organisations. I had it for a while when i was a member of the London Cycling Campaign. However there is no way you would persuade people to pay it if they are summer cyclists only or if the cycle only comes out of the garage a few times a year. It's not practical or feasible and would only put people off cycling if it were compulsory. Also, if you have home insurance, you might find that you are covered anyway.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.