Forgotten City Centre Pub

MCFCTrick

Team supported
Citeh
The Brewers. Opened in about 1976/7 .... It was on 'Pall Mall' Go down Market St from Piccadilly, turn left just at Boots ... and it was about 25 yards on the left hand side.

Boddington's pub, it was way ahead of it's time décor wise, all stripped back to bare brick walls, sanded floors, stripped pine tables and chairs .... but for some reason it only lasted a short time ... maybe three or four years.

Never any record of it on any old Manc pub websites etc .... Not even the usually excellent Pubs Of Manchester site.

Anyone else here recall it? At least three of my mates remember it, so unless we all were hallucinating/stoned it's not just in my head I don't think.....?

Yes, I remember the Brewers so you're not hallucinating...but thought it was on Market Street itself, on the corner near Boots.
Think it closed after fisticuffs and general mayhem between City and rags one Saturday night - the place got proper smashed up and never re-opened.

Yes, I remember the Brewers so you're not hallucinating...but thought it was on Market Street itself, on the corner near Boots.
Think it closed after fisticuffs and general mayhem between City and rags one Saturday night - the place got proper smashed up and never re-opened.
Correct. Smashed up and damaged beyond repair post derby match. I was in it. Next door along was the back of the underground market. The Crown and kettle top of Oldham strasse got the same treatment and was shut for years.

Correct. Smashed up and damaged beyond repair post derby match. I was in it. Next door along was the back of the underground market. The Crown and kettle top of Oldham strasse got the same treatment and was shut for years.
I was in that day !

Was there not a pub called The John Bull here?

Was there not a pub called The John Bull here?

That was on brown st and had lunchtime strippers on.

never went in either this or the brewers (too young) the city centre pubs I miss not still being around though are are the portland , the boardroom and roses bar

Only ever went into the John Bull on the last days of term from Loreto 6 Form, early 80's. Had some cracking times in there although the carpet was so sticky it nearly pulled your shoes off! Happy days.

Only ever went into the John Bull on the last days of term from Loreto 6 Form, early 80's. Had some cracking times in there although the carpet was so sticky it nearly pulled your shoes off! Happy days.

Xararian lad myself and it was the Lancaster tavern on a friday afternoon for us in the 90's which equally was full of underage students and sticky floors. Shame they turned it into O'Sheas

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.