Former Chairman Eric Alexander passes away

It was during Eric's time as chairman that Bernard was given the job as secretary (he was Oldham's secretary for several years before City). I've interviewed Eric, Bernard, Swales (last ever recorded interview) and many, many others from that period. I once tried to sell the idea of a book on the Swales years to a publisher - it was rejected as they felt it ended negatively "who wants to read about a club that goes from success to failure?" They missed the point but most of the groundwork was done. The problem is finding a publisher. I still can't get my Manchester City Women: An Oral History book in many shops so getting a book on Swales on sale would be difficult.

successful to a failure to successful again in today's billionaire game might sell though as it would give hope to the 650m united supporting lemmings whom are slowly realising they are at the start of the hopefully decades long middle section.

I read his autobiography a few years ago.it was very interesting and opened my eyes to some of the things that go on behind the scenes at a football club.

R. I. P. Eric.

My dad used to tell me the one about how after we'd won the league in 1937, the chairman addressed the crowd announcing this was the start of a glorious period for the blues. Following season, we were relegated despite scoring the most goals! Typical City. Think that might have been his dad, Albert? RIP.

Eric's grandfather, Albert snr, I would imagine.

Delighted that The Athletic have allowed me to publish this via their site. It’s an appreciation of the work the Alexander family have done for MCFC following Eric’s death this week. The Alexanders are basically the equivalent of a royal family to MCFC. Anyway have a read https://theathletic.com/1280040/201...d-manchester-city-remembering-eric-alexander/ The Athletic is behind a paywall (let’s face it all newspapers are either because of advertising or cover price) but you can usually find a free trial somewhere or this link gives discounted access https://theathletic.co.uk/checkout/ For me I’m delighted that a major, national news company have shown interest in MCFC at this level. How many other, traditional, national newspapers have even given an inch to MCFC’s former chairman? Thanks Athletic for supporting this.

0_CY23448000.jpg

Flanked by Walter Griffiths and Rodney Marsh

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.