Francis Lee

Franny is the reason a Surrey-born boy like me supports City. Nothing to do with his goalscoring, his bullishness, or his brilliant penalty-taking. As a 5-year-old I was given my first two football cards. Frank Large of Northampton and Franny. I liked Lee's wavy hair and that's why I support City. I've had a season ticket since 1984. FFS, it could've been Northampton!
Very similar story to mine.

In January'70 - I was seven at the time - a new set of cards were out, and a mate remarked, pointing to Frannie, that "he must be a good player; there are loads of his card". That was it. Mr Lee became my favourite player, and therefore City, my favourite team.

I just about remember the League Cup and ECWC wins from that season and it’s been City and no one else ever since.

Very similar story to mine.

In January'70 - I was seven at the time - a new set of cards were out, and a mate remarked, pointing to Frannie, that "he must be a good player; there are loads of his card". That was it. Mr Lee became my favourite player, and therefore City, my favourite team.

I just about remember the League Cup and ECWC wins from that season and it’s been City and no one else ever since.
Franny was my favourite because he had blonde hair and so did I when I was a kid. As a kid playing football, I was always Franny Lee. I followed him from Bolton to City and supported City because of him. Have followed him all his career. Watched him play cricket against my club in the Bolton Leagues and I know a few people that have worked for him in his tissue mill. I think he's a sound man all round. Hurts me to think he had a reputation as a bit of a diver in the box

Never saw him play for City but I think it was about my 3rd or 4th ever game when he scored that screamer in the Platt lane end for Derby...
The only City game I went to with my Dad. He took me as a treat because I had been ill. If the net hadn't been there the ball would have hit me. I was gutted , but pleased for Franny. I remember it clearly to this day, added to by watching it on TV later. ( not common for games to be on TV in those days)

Love this clip lol

What I remember of our family trips back home to Manchester in the 70's at Easter, was going to Platt lane and Maine Road watching the players train. Franny Lee would always stopped to sign autographs.
He took time to make small talk with this little kid made me feel great.
I even name my eldest after him, calling my son LF, I said it as a joke to the missus who like the sound of it so it stuck lol

Plus I have a 'history' box by whsmith my mum was given it by some kentblue's in the bishop's finger pub in Canterbury. In this pack is a copy of Francis Lee contract

My mum used to work in the hotel bar at Manchester Airport hotel during those heady days of late 60s/early 70s and Franny, Summerbee/Best etc would all be there and after the shutters would come down at closing time they'd all be thrusting £20 notes through the gaps for an extra drink. A score in those days was a lot of money!

And since no one else has done it on this thread (to my surprise), time to post this:

Perhaps the single most iconic photo in the history of this club, along with Kun and his twirling shirt.
(Look at the beauty of that shirt, by the way. No sponsors, no Nike or Puma trade mark. Not even the club badge. Just the purity of a cloudless sky…)

Last edited:
Love this clip lol

What I remember of our family trips back home to Manchester in the 70's at Easter, was going to Platt lane and Maine Road watching the players train. Franny Lee would always stopped to sign autographs.
He took time to make small talk with this little kid made me feel great.
I even name my eldest after him, calling my son LF, I said it as a joke to the missus who like the sound of it so it stuck lol

Plus I have a 'history' box by whsmith my mum was given it by some kentblue's in the bishop's finger pub in Canterbury. In this pack is a copy of Francis Lee contract

I've got that as well. Possibly this wascthe best bitbof on pitch aggro ever. Fearless Frannie! What a player.

He was about the size of half a pint of milk but twice as round and he could run through a brick wall. Nothing would get in the way of him and the goal.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.