Francis Lee

My dad worshipped him.

And he gave us the money to sign rocky rocastle and that fantastic bit of skill I remember seeing.

He loves the club and that probably clouded his judgement as chairman.

He was my favourite player when I started going to city. Think he would get into today's team if only for his penalty taking. The goalkeeper sometimes got an hand to them but the power still took them in. Did he not score 2 hat tricks at Old Trafford one season, only one against the rags I think. Someone will correct me if I am wrong.
II remember reading years ago, maybe in Blueprint, that in that wonderful season, 1973/74, Frannie was the top scorer at the swamp, but the Lawman had the only City goal there.

Before my time as a player but my dad loved him and said he was a brilliant footballer.

His time as Chairman was obviously a disaster, but when he came in, it was the first time I’d felt optimistic about City for years.

The rot had clearly set in before he came on board and fuck knows what would have happened if Swales stayed on because we wouldn’t have had the money to sort the Kippax and we could well have fallen even harder than we did.

Franny clearly made huge mistakes with his managerial appointments but I always had the impression he was doing what he thought was best for the club, whereas I always thought Swales was just in it for his own ego trip.

Really hope Franny’s ok because he did look rather frail the other day and it wasn’t nice to see. Wish him all the best.

II remember reading years ago, maybe in Blueprint, that in that wonderful season, 1973/74, Frannie was the top scorer at the swamp, but the Lawman had the only City goal there.
Yeah you are right Franny scored an hat trick at the swamp in a league cup replay against Walsall and Law got the only goal in a 1-0 win think it was a back heel, just before all hell broke loose.

I never saw Franny play for City live, but did see him play for Derby at Maine Road in only my 2nd ever game aged 7, I was very lucky as it was 4-3 to City and Mike Doyle was sent off,amazing game against a great Derby team, Two great teams tbh. I wrote a couple of letters to Franny when he was chairman, and his replies were really good, proper heartfelt stuff, no way a chairman would right a letter like those these days. Thankfully though, I ignored his advice to lump on City to win the league the year after the relegation with alan ball.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.